Brigadoon -- This sample was submitted by Craig Maier of
Diamond Cut Productions This recording was made in 1967 of my High
Schools Class play, Brigadoon. I was responsible for the light and
sound aspects of the project The sound responsibilities included
the PA system and also the Recording of the play. The sound system
consisted of two mics hanging from risers above the stage and two
mics located above the orchestra pit. They all fed into a Mixer
which drove a Pre-Amp and then a Power Amplifier for the sound
reinforcement system. Another set of outputs fed my Magnecord 1028
1/2 track, 15 ips tape deck. All of the audio equipment was
electron tube based including the tape recorder - - - tubes were
still the state of the art in audio at that time. All of the tube
based equipment except for the Magnecord tape deck was designed
and constructed by myself in the two years prior to this
particular event. (The speaker system used JBL drivers, but was
The problem observed here as heard in the "before" was probably
the result of a bad shielded cable between one of the mixer
outputs and one of the tape deck inputs. It appears that I noticed
the problem (one VU meter was probably not dancing correctly) and
I started by adjusting one of the channel gain controls on the
tape deck. Ultimately, it appears that I started moving cables
around until a signal became steady into the tape deck, but as you
can see and hear, it took a while to find the problem and fix it
at that time.
This "after" example shows how the Diamond Cut Editing
capabilities can fix this type of problem.
Wherever there was a drop-out of the signal on the offending
channel, I carefully marked them with the Diamond Cut Markers (the
"M" key) (zooming in to be sure that they were exactly in the
correct place). I highlighted each section and clicked on the good
track (R or L on the toolbar). Then I copied that to the clipboard
and pasted it to the opposite track without moving the markers. I
noticed that there were still some large transients on both tracks
which I interpolated out with the "I" key. Sometimes, very tiny
transients occurred where I pasted into the bad track which I
interpolated out with the "I" key after highlighting the problem.
Then, I was left with wildly varying gain settings on each
channel and in some cases, both channels. The goal was to
"feather" the gain compensations in so that they would be the
inverse of the way in which the tape deck controls had been moved
in real time, I used the "curve" setting of the Gain Control
feature. By adjusting the curvature using the spline inflection
points, I was able to reverse the gain vs. time problems that I
had injected onto the recording back in '67.
To smooth out the changes in stereo image (albeit not perfectly),
I applied a slight amount of reverb to the sections of the file
that had been copied from one channel to the other, with some
overlap past the edit marker boundaries.
Lastly, I gain normalized the system to -2 or -3 dB.