Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Update Cause a Problem ?

Group,

A number of updates to Windows 7 occurred today (1/5/18). After some updates, DCart10 stopped working. I had to uninstall and then reinstall DCart10 (10.8) to have the software work.
    Anyone else have this happen ?

Update, windows was trying to install an AMD upgrade to my system. This was for a "bus" for the AMD device. This update did not work for some reason.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Hildebrant; 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM.

Thanks for the report. Let's see if others observe the same thing.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Jeff at Tracer had an issue with a Microsoft update yesterday. It took him all day to straighten it out. I am not sure of the details. I had the impression from his email that the glitch caused global problems with his computer.

Craig

Comment

Two days ago, my laptop computer (Win7) received an automatic update. After the update, all the icons were moved around and my settings (desktop background, etc) were all changed. Today, I tried to create a new file directory. with the right mouse New Folder command. All that I get is "Empty" before I can even type in a new file folder name. I tried this in several places including the desktop with the same results. I re-started the computer with no change in the behavior of the system. It looks like something planted a serious virus on the laptop computer. I wonder if anyone else has seen this symptom. I am afraid to back-up my files on that computer for fear of migrating the virus to other machines.

Comment

I took my broken laptop to a computer guru to remove the affliction. He worked on it, but can not fix it without wiping the HD clean. He said that he has seen a lot of issues right after Windows automatic updates lately where the computer O/s fails. Usually, he said he has been able to fix it. But, not in my case, for some reason. So, I do not know what to say about automatic Windows updates - - - do you allow them or not?

Craig

Comment

I allow Windows updates; however, I try to take an image of my boot drive at least about once a month (I use Acronis True Image). That way, I can always be back up an running in about an hour (minus anything I've installed since the last image; however, I keep my data on a separate drive (also backed up quite frequently), so I don't lose any data content. Most of the Microsoft updates are security patches, so turning them off can put you at risk that way, as well.

If it is truly a virus (I doubt Microsoft would have implanted a virus, but perhaps an existing virus can be set off by the update; don't know), then you would have probably been hit sooner or later regardless of doing the automatic MS update.
            John

Comment

Is it possible that some "Microsoft Updates" are not created by Microsoft and are Trojans?

Comment

Windows 10 updates can cause trouble with other applications. We've seen it with accounting and invoicing programs too.
                Enterprises will not allow automatic updates in order to maintain a stable IT production environment. Updates are extensively tested for compatibility with existing applications before company-wide deployment.

For music production, it is safer to use a dedicated PC, disconnected from internet and updates, once your system is running in a stable way..

Also Mac OSX updates may cause compatibility issues with applications or device drivers (e.g. for some audio hardware).

Jos
                Jos Van Dyck

Comment

Hi Jos,

Thanks for the insight; it's much appreciated.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X