Question on inverting signal to remove crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on inverting signal to remove crackle

I was reading this method for removing crackle on Clive's FAQ - Transferring LPs to CDR: Some Advice at(http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/lp-cdr.htm).

He describes a method for removing really bad crackle from an album... Here it is...

"I recently came across a suggested method of decrackling that is definitely worth passing on. I take no credit for this method; I first saw it described on the AudioForums website by someone calling themselves "Younglove". Here is the original thread; I have no idea how long the AudioForums threads stay online.
    The procedure briefly is this:

1.Get a noise fingerprint from the WAV file to be decrackled. In other words, find a section that contains only noise and light crackle, but no music.
    2.Use the noise fingerprint to do a noise reduction over the whole file, but keeping just the noise (rather than the music minus the noise). You need to do a fairly brutal noise reduction (eg. 100% in CoolEdit). What you end up with is the noise, the light crackle, and a bit of the music.
    3.Save the noise that's just been isolated, either in a file or a clipboard.
    4.Run a declick operation over the noise. Be fairly aggressive, so as to find all the crackle. You now have the noise minus the crackle.
    5.Mix-paste the noise that you saved in step 3 over the result of the declick, but invert the saved noise that you're pasting. This causes the noise to cancel out, leaving just the crackle, but inverted.
    6.Now mix-paste that inverted crackle back into the original file. Because the crackle is inverted, it cancels the crackle in the original file.

It really does work rather well, but remember that it only works for background light crackle; it doesn't deal with big pops and clicks.
    So how does this work? My view is that the reason decrackling is so hard to do is because the clicks that constitute the crackle are of low amplitude, and are easily lost within the surrounding music: this makes identifying them very difficult. Once you've isolated just the background noise & crackle, the click detection algorithms have a much easier task, so they find the genuine clicks more successfully. "
    I just ordered a copy of DC-ART32 (it hasn't come in the mail yet - maybe tomorrow!), and was wondering if you could do this using DC-ART32. I have the demo version and was looking around in the manual, but was unable to find anything resembling "inverting" the signal before paste/mixing it back in.

I have read tips for DC-ART32 regarding running the declicker a couple of times using slightly different settings on really scratchy recordings, but this method does sound very interesting and I'd love to try it.

If anyone can point me in the proper direction I would be very thankful.

thanks!

bobk

Re: Question on inverting signal to remove crackle

I gave this method a quick try and it does indeed seem to work. What I am not sure of is how much different this is from doing the operations in the normal manner; declick, then dehiss/decrackle with the Continuous noise filter. You are using the CNF to separate the signal into noise and Music, then operating on just the noise. This does make the de-click filter more effective so I can see some benefit. I guess you could also shape the CNF filters curve to operate over less of the frequency spectrum so as to effect the music even less.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick. I just got my copy of DC-Art32 today and have installed it. But I still can't figure out how actually to invert the file before pasting it back in. Am I missing something?

thanks!

bobk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickc:
      [B]I gave this method a quick try and it does indeed seem to work.

Comment

Phase inversion is accomplished by using the file conversion filter. You will find two check boxes to invert either the left, right or both channels.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig - but it doesn't appear that I have that feature with DC-ART32. I guess that's something that just comes with Millenium.

bobk

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig Maier:
          Phase inversion is accomplished by using the file conversion filter. You will find two check boxes to invert either the left, right or both channels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Sorry Bob, you are correct. I forgot that we added that feature at a later point in history.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X