1.5 mil stylus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 mil stylus

I have a Stanton 500 AL-II cartridge. Anyone know where I might obtain a 1.5 mil stylus?

By the way, what is the cutoff year for early lp's (1.5 mil) moving then to the .7 mil?

Thanks.

Jim

Re: 1.5 mil stylus

I do not know exactly, but I think that it was in the early 1950's. You are probably looking for something more precise than that, however. What does the Diamond Cut Users manual indicate about that - - - it would probably be in the appendix section at the back. I do not have my copy at hand.

Comment

Not long ago there were several sources for custom stylii for the Stanton 500 cartridge line. Haven't checked recently but I imagine there still are.

Have a question tho about the description of a 1.5 mil radius stylus as being the norm for LPs in the early days. So far as I know the standard size stylus tip for both 33 and 45 rpm monaural discs was 1.0 mil radius. Chapter Eighteen of Oliver Read's "The Recording and Reproduction of Sound, 1st ed, 1949, is "A discussion of the new Columbia LP and RCA 45 r.p.m. records". He describes the playback stylii as having 1.0 mil radii. The deciding factor tho should be what gives the best reproduction.

Comment

I wonder if 1.5 mil styli may have been used on some early 50's record players in order to be semi-compatible with 78's, 33's and 45's. That dimension (1.5 mil) would not work perfectly with any of those types of recordings, perhaps, but would work to some degree on all of them. Sort of "one size fits all." Just a guess, though.

Comment

Working...
        X