Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45-RPM Record Tutorial

Hi folks,

I assembled a short tutorial about 45-RPM records that might be of interest to some of you. Eventually, we will place this, and other tutorials, on the Diamond Cut website.

---------------------------------------

45-RPM Record Restoration

RCA Victor developed the 45-RPM record between the years of 1939 and 1949. Introduced on March 31st in 1949 as the “New System”, it was designed to be a replacement for the bulky 78-RPM record. It was touted to be 1/10th the weight of its 12 inch counterpart and having a playtime of up to 5.3 minutes per side. It featured a lightweight record design and small 7-inch diameter with improved fidelity in terms of noise levels and frequency response. The so called “quality zone of recording” is improved with the 45 form factor over 78’s because the ratio of tangential velocity from the outermost groove to the innermost groove is 2:1 less. This feature produces a more consistent response and distortion* characteristic over the playing range of the recording. These records were designed to be played on a special turntable having a large rotating spindle that could change a record in only one revolution. The records were made of vinyl plastic for low noise and durability and included a “Shoulder Construction” which consisted of a bump on the edge and center of the record preventing recording surfaces from contacting one another when stacked, thereby reducing the deleterious effects of poor handling. These records were designed to be played with a 1.0 mil sapphire stylus which tracked at only 5 grams and used a new recording equalization curve called the “New Orthophonic Recording Characteristic” which was later to become the industry standard RIAA curve. As an added element of marketing interest, these records were color coded as follows:

Children’s: Yellow

Classical: Red

Country & Western: Green

International: Sky Blue

Popular: Black

Popular Classical: Midnight Blue

Rhythm & Blues: Orange or Cerise

Despite the fact that 45-RPM records were marketed as having low distortion compared to their 78-RPM predecessors, many people associate 45-RPM records as having high levels of distortion and the following reasons may help explain this phenomenon:

1. They are often played on the wrong type of turntable

2. They were very low cost

3. Some very early recordings were dubs of their 78 RPM counterparts

4. They were often mishandled

5. They were often played on standard turntables having the wrong tracking angle and stylus.

6. They were often intentionally over-modulated (especially in the 1960’s and 1970’s) so that cheap record players would sound louder and the rock would sound grungier.

Since these records were optimized to be played on special 45-RPM record players, their performance is somewhat impaired when played with the relatively long (and incorrectly positioned) tone arm associated with a standard turntable. The optimum method of playback would be the use of a tangentially tracking turntable or a modified old 45-RPM record player. However, most of us are relegated to playing these records on a large disc LP turntable. This results in more distortion than these records were designed to produce because of the error in the tracking angle. Also, the early records were designed to be played with 1.0 mil conical styli, whereas today’s styli for turntables are typically 0.7 mils and elliptical in shape.

The process of restoring these recordings is not dissimilar to that of other mechanical record recordings. The difference is in the turntable mismatch to the record and the distortion encountered. To minimize the distortion when using a standard turntable, consider using a heavier tracking force during the transfer process. This will reduce the distortion. Rather than using the standard Diamond Cut CNF, consider using the Diamond Cut Auto CNF, which will be more effective in noise and distortion reduction on 45’s. Also, to reduce the distortion after the initial restoration process, consider applying the dynamics processors de-esser function to further decrease distortion.

*Note: The Intermodulation Distortion design limit for the 45 RPM record development team was set to be no greater than 10 %.

keywords: 45 RPM Record, 45 RPM History, RCA Victor 45, Victor 45's, 45's, 45 RPM Record History
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-22-2014, 10:53 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Here is short note on the RCA Victor 45-RPM record players. They were originally equipped with Rochelle Salt Piezoelectric cartridges. These types of cartridges produced about 500 mVolts output and had no magnetic components therein. These were the forerunners of the more modern day low cost ceramic cartridge. Since I own one of these machines, I tried to modify it with a modern magnetic cartridge but met with very poor success for the following reasons:

1. The inexpensive induction type motor used in these record players "spray" large values of magnetic fields which are picked up by the coils in the magnetic cartridge completely drowning out the signal. Piezoelectric cartridges are not magnetic field susceptible and therefore do not display this problem.
    2. These Record Players have relative low platter mass and have high amounts of rumble as a result.
    3. The tone arm has low cost pivot bearings causing them to have a very hard time tracking the high compliance styli found in modern magnetic phono cartridges. The original sapphire based piezoelectric cartridge stylus was very low in mechanical compliance resulting in no tracking problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-22-2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

45 RPM Tutorial

Nice history Craig,
      I, like others, enjoy reading about the history. I think it helps combat problems if people have some understanding of the theories behind the different formats and the differences between them.

For people interested in overcoming distortions through the linear tracking of 45s or even 78s, most moderately priced linear tracking/tangential turntables require a "P-mount" cartridge. Fortunately, a P-mount cartridge with a wide variety of 33,45 and 78 RPM styli is available from http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?shurenow.htm Click on "needles and belts" and then on the photo of the 78RPM stylus and it takes you to a list of many variants. Then you can also look under cartridges for the Stanton L720EE TP4 P-MOUNT. The styli are made by the expert styli Co in England and fit both the standard head-shell mounting Stanton 500 and the P-mount version (L720).

Happy restoring people!
      Last edited by Doug; 11-09-2004, 05:38 PM.
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Those Little RCA's

For Christmas in 1954 Santa brought me one of those little RCA 45 record players. I had just turned four. Santa brought me just a deck, it had no electronics or speakers (RCA Victor 45-J-2). Santa left it to my dad to come up with amplification.

Dad's solution was an old Philco table top radio, one of the bullet shaped ones, but unfortunately the cover had been broken, leaving me with the bare metal chassis with the speaker attached to the top. That was fine with me, because I loved to watch the tubes glow.

That little RCA turntable is now sitting on a shelf in my library. It's in working order, although it needs a new ceramic cartridge and needle. It has been joined by a fancier model with an amp and speaker, which I bought in an antique store for five dollars.

My uncle Karl, for whom my younger son is named, was fascinated when he visited us, because he could ask me to play any record in my collection and I could not only pick out the right record, but I could also correctly identify the correct side, although sometimes I'd forget whether the playing side should face up or down. That used to frustrate me. I have to admit, though, that I cheated when I first began. I put a dab of fingernail polish on the "A" side of the record, but I still had to choose the correct record. I still have those 45's with the dab of fingernail polish, including " Sh-Boom" by the Crewcuts (1954), "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley (1954), "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford (1955), and "Mr. Sandman" by the Chordettes (1955). Then came 1956 and Elvis and I started buying at least one 45 a week. By the time I was a teenager I had several hundred.

Doug

Comment

I would like to place my old RCA Victor 45 RPM player back into working order also. The problem is that the Rochelle Salt cartridge produces no output, which is common for that style (they are anhydrous and eventually corrode the internal electrode connections). Does anyone know if and/or where I can purchase a replacement? As you know, the Magnetic cartridge concept does not work. I also have a large box of 45's from when I was a kid and would enjoy being able to play them again on my "swigglekerchunk!" (the sound that machine used to make when changing the record) Thanks!
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-10-2004, 10:32 AM.

Comment

RCA Cartridges

Craig,

Try http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php. They sometimes have them. I called when looking for one. Unfortunately at that time, they had none in stock. I haven't followed up with them recently.

Doug

Comment

Rochelle Salt cartridges

Originally posted by Craig Maier
              I would like to place my old RCA Victor 45 RPM player back into working order also. The problem is that the Rochelle Salt cartridge produces no output, which is common for that style (they are anhydrous and eventually corrode the internal electrode connections). Does anyone know if and/or where I can purchase a replacement? As you know, the Magnetic cartridge concept does not work. I also have a large box of 45's from when I was a kid and would enjoy being able to play them again on my "swigglekerchunk!" (the sound that machine used to make when changing the record) Thanks!
              You might try West-Tech Services:
              http://www.west-techservices.com

They used to do a good job when they were in Florida. Not sure this is the same company because I understand that Steve Karpak the proprietor of the Florida service died a while back. Hopefully the new outlet will have purchased Steve's inventory.
              good luck!
              George Peek

Comment

RCA 45 RPM Players

I've loved those little record players ever since I was a kid, and now have several of them, most in working order. In addition to the links previously mentioned, here are a couple more. www.oldtech.net has the service manuals for both the RP-168 and RP-190 series changers, which can be downloaded at no charge. Just look for the record changer restoration link. Also, www.thevoiceofmusic.com has information about the idlers used in the RCA players. I have not ordered anything from this company, but it appears that they are available. It's been several years since I've purchased a cartridge for these players. The ones I have were purchased from a guy in Massachusetts who made them by modifying a currently available cartridge (I'm not sure which one he used). The most common problem with one of
                these players that has not been used in many years, besides the defective cartridge, is a loud hum caused by the defective electrolytic filter capacitor. I've had to replace this capacitor in every one of my players. Unless the rubber wheels and idlers are bad, the changer mechanism usually performs well. And for as old as these machines are, they sound very good, when properly restored.

Kent
                Last edited by kent; 11-12-2004, 02:17 PM. Reason: wrong url

Comment

Thanks, folks. My wife and I are on the way to breathing life back into this old thing. I ordered a new cartridge for it today. It looks kind of comical sitting on top of a high-end audio sytem. I suspect that our old 45 are going to sound better when played on this machine compared to being played on our standard turntable. I will report back on this.
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-12-2004, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Craig,

Just wondering...did you ever get it to work?

Kent

Comment

Yeah, I got the cartridge for it and it works great. The 45's do sound better than I have heard them in the past when played on my regular turntable. The signal comming off of the cartridge is pretty hot. It is a bit too hot for the mic input and just a shy low for the line input. So, I assembled a 4:1 voltage divider in a RCA to RCA barrel connector so that I can use the system Mic input. That works just fine. And, it is great for a laugh when our friends see this thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X