An Edison Company Internal Dispute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Edison Company Internal Dispute

In going through copies of some of our old Edison company written documentation pertaining to the Laterals transfer project, I came across the following interesting internal typewritten communications from a Mr. Lyman to a Mr. Miller. Here is the transcript exactly as it was written:

------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. H. Lyman:-

I have your memo. (sic) of May 11th which shows quite a number of record (sic) rejected for "weak centers". I have investigated this condition quite thoroughly and find that a large number of our competitors' records when you listen to the end and immediately listen to the beginning show a difference in volume. I also find that the louder the record the more this difference is shown, especially when the record has a deep cut.

The records you have reported on we had already listened to and paid particular attention to the reduced volume toward the centers, and we think you are drawing the line rather closely on some of these records.

We feel that the "A" masters of the following numbers are quite passable as regards loss of volume near the end, as no one would notice it when they hear the record through:

N-200 - N-201 - N-202 - N-204 - N-205 - N-206 - N-208
    N-209 - N-211 - N-213 - N-215

and also the "B"s of: N-207 - N-210.

You O. K. N-214-B, and we think that the "A" is much better for this trouble.

I wish you would reconsider this report from a commercial standpoint.

W. H. Miller

5-14-28

------------------------------------------------------------

The following seems to be the handwritten response to the above memo signed by WHM:

---------------

May 17, 28

Harrold

We think no 200A - & no 209-A are OK for weak centers to (sic) good to reject.

WHM

-------------------------------------------------------

Note: Walter Miller was the the recording director of the Edison company, and was known as "the Emperor of Recording." Lyman seems to have been the man in charge of the recording studios in Manhattan. A third player would have been Mr. Walsh, who was the General Manager of the Edison Phono Division.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-13-2018, 10:30 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield
Working...
X