Viewing the Spectral Content of a Wave File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing the Spectral Content of a Wave File

Sometimes, it is desirable to view the average spectral content of an entire wavefile. There are several ways to do this.

1. Highlight the entire file. Open up the CNF (Continuous Noise Filter) and click the "Sample Noise" button. The display will show the average frequency response of the file. If you want to save this graph, you can save it as a preset. This method is the fastest approach.

2. Bring up the Spectrum Analyzer, and play the entire file into the system using Averaging Mode. The only reason that you may want to do it this way is if you want higher frequency resolution compared to the CNF method, since you will need to wait for a few minutes for the system to integrate up. The spectrum analyzer has the capability of creating up to 65,536 fft's whereas the CNF is limited to 16,384.

3. Bring up the Spectrum Analyzer, and put it in "Slow" mode. This will give you more of a moving real time view of what is happening within the sound spectrum as the file plays. You can Preview the file via an EQ while this is occuring to see what effects that you are having on the file.

I have heard it said that one should strive to flatten out this spectral display with an EQ. Most often, this approach will not produce a very pleasing result. The reason is that music generally does not contain equal energy at all frequencies (that would befit the definition of noise more than music). However, when transferring olde acoustically recorded 78's, Cylinders or Diamond Discs, sometimes you can correct obvious recording system resonances (and/or anti resonances). These resonances were produced by the recording horn and the cutter diaphram when they were mastered. You can use the 20 or 30 band graphic EQ's or the Paragraphic EQ to do this. You can view the before and after results using the frequency spectrum display techniques that I just described.

Note: Only the Forensics version has the capability to completely compensate for each measured frequency bin created when the spectrum analyzer is used at its extreme settings in resolution, since it is the only version that offers a 32,000 band graphic Equalizer (called the Spectral Filter).
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Originally posted by Craig Maier
    ...when transferring olde acoustically recorded 78's, Cylinders or Diamond Discs, sometimes you can correct obvious recording system resonances (and/or anti resonances). These resonances were produced by the recording horn and the cutter diaphram when they were mastered.
    What a great tip! I'll keep it in mind the next time I restore an acoustical.

HB

Comment

Reverse Horn ?

Craig,

I came across a preset in the 20 Band EQ called "Reverse Horn". Does this preform the total compensation from singer to horn to cutter to record back through horn ?

Regards,
      Marc

Comment

I do not see that preset on my system. Are you sure that you did not create that one yourself some time back?
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Craig,
          Hummmmm......

Well, I might have a number of years ago. I have had Diamond cut software for many years (Had the two disc version once).

Lately, I have had more time to use the software and I'm re-discovering the fun of music restoration. Maybe I had attempted at one time to reverse the sound from the horn ?

Regards,
          Marc

Comment

Another possibility is that you got it from another user.

Comment

I was going to check if I had done something like that, but I don't see more than 2 presets in the exchange any more. What happened to all the old ones (or do I have something set wrong)?

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

That is odd - - - I just went to the preset exchange forum and counted 51 posts many of them having multiple presets.

I wonder what happened that you only see 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                  That is odd - - - I just went to the preset exchange forum and counted 51 posts many of them having multiple presets.

I wonder what happened that you only see 2.
                  Odd is right. On the main page, it lists 45 threads in the preset exchange forum, but when I enter the preset area, there are only 8 threads and only 2 actual preset zips within the whole area.....

At least, this is what I see...

???

Comment

Originally posted by Geebster
                    Odd is right. On the main page, it lists 45 threads in the preset exchange forum, but when I enter the preset area, there are only 8 threads and only 2 actual preset zips within the whole area.....

At least, this is what I see...

???

It lists 45 threads for me, as well. When I enter there are only 3 threads:

Sticky: Welcome to the Preset Exchange Forum

Victor Program Transcriptions

DC7 EZ Enhancer Presets

Comment

Originally posted by cromag
                      It lists 45 threads for me, as well. When I enter there are only 3 threads:

Sticky: Welcome to the Preset Exchange Forum

Victor Program Transcriptions

DC7 EZ Enhancer Presets
                      Yeah, you are right. 3 threads and 8 total posts is what I see...

Looks like we are seeing the same thing...

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm seeing.

Dan
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Interesting - - - I guess what I am seeing is something that may be cached from some time back. We will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

I see 47 threads listed on two pages, all of which seem to work.

Comment

Rick tells me that if you are not signed in on the forum, you will only see a few posts. Try signing in and you should see all of them, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X