Saving to WMA lossless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving to WMA lossless

Does Mentor have the capability to save in the WMA lossless format? I have all the latest MS codecs and can save to this format in Media Player (11), however within Mentor it shows this format but doesn't save the file. It does however save to a variety of the WMA lossy formats fine.

GB

Note: incorrect text edited and corrected...
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-30-2019, 09:17 PM.

Quoting GB:

"It does however save to a variety of the WMA lossless formats fine."

------------------------------------

I am unclear on this; are you really saying that "It does however save to a variety of WMA lossy formats fine?"

At any rate, I spoke with Rick today, who is out of the country on business, and he does not know why it would not apply any of the formats indicated within the software display. He said that he expects that it should.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
      Quoting GB:

"It does however save to a variety of the WMA lossless formats fine."

------------------------------------

I am unclear on this; are you really saying that "It does however save to a variety of WMA lossy formats fine?"
      Sorry about that!! Yes. I can save to ANY of the .wma lossy formats fine, but when it comes to the lossless, there isn't an option given in the lower dialog box. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering. If I really have to save a file in a .wma lossless format, I can simply take the file(s) from Bin 2 and convert them within Media Player.

GB

If need be, I can sent you a screen shot of what I am talking about.... I know I am not explaining all of this too well.
      Last edited by ; 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM.

Comment

GB - Yeah, that would be a good idea. Send the screen shot to me at:

dctools@aol.com

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig-
          I hope a picture is worth a thousand words!! Or at least a thousand of my words.

I sent a screenshot of the situation of not being able to save in lossless .wma format to you.

Please don't sweat it, if there isn't a real explanation for what I'm experiencing. I have a viable workaround. I'm just putting Mentor through it's paces before I start any major projects so I don't get a surprise in a middle of a restoration.

Many, Many thanks for all of your help.

GB

Comment

I frequent another Bulletin Board that talks solely about audio compression. And I don't know if this is real or imagined, but the hot topic right now is that M$oft is planning to start licensing the use of some of their codecs or having a scheme where you cannot move a .wma file to another device unless a fee is paid.

I in no way know this to be truth or rumor, but I am not going to take the chance. I download all of my CD's onto my hard drive using a lossless compression scheme to save space. I think I will be using open source code compression schemes such as .ape, .flac, .shn or wavepack instead of .wma in the future.

GB

Comment

I don't have too many specifics either, but I have heard in advance reviews that "Vista" is much, much heavier into DRM than XP. This would seem to continue Microsoft's trend, and given their corporate "vision" of media being the place to be in the future I have no doubt they would try to pull it off. Current reviews of their Xune have been lackluster at best -- perhaps Microsoft is looking for a way to lock users into the hardware/software package.

Still, as long as free alternatives are available -- and a Windows/Vista machine can be coaxed to work with them -- I should be able to avoid it.

Comment

'Ol M$oft better just play it cool, or the consumer will revolt. It's one thing to prevent pirates from stealing copyrighted material; but it is a totally different thing when you prevent customers from enjoying music the way they see fit.

I know if the big companies involved had their way, they would force us to buy duplicate copies of songs or albums for whatever hardware we choose to use them in. A fee or a duplicate for your CD player, a copy for your iPod, a copy for your computer.

I think if it were to come down to that there would be a whole bunch of developers scrambling to develop hardware and software that wouldn't use such elaborate DRM or Copyrighting schemes.

Like I said, M$oft better play it cool or their vast fortune could turn into nothing in a fairly short order.

GB

Comment

Working...
                X