Slot filter fade in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot filter fade in?

I'm running an Art Garfunkel LP through DC6. The LP is in average shape, I'd say, but Art's voice runs from very quiet to strong, so this is a bit more challenging than some other LPs I've done.

On song in particular has a quiet lead-in that sounds like it might even be a recording of Humpback whales. Then Art comes in quietly, and builds to a more normal level. I've done a pretty reasonable job at clearing up the "crackle," but in this quiet lead-in you can still hear it. I can't process out the remaining noise without damaging the music (maybe someone with more skill can, but I can't).

I used the spectrum analyzer, and the whales are very distinct and easily isolated. I ran the notch filter (as a "slot filter") to isolate the whale songs and the improvement is dramatic ... except when the slot filter cuts off as Art starts singing: the transition is abrupt and very noticeable.

Is there any way to "fade in" the transition from the slot filter? If not, am I correct in thinking that I can accomplish much the same result by running the filter sweeper, twice, in exponential mode, perhaps?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM.

The slot filter is actually a second order (resonant) bandpass filter. You can approximate it by running the filter sweeper twice, once in low pass mode and the second time on the same sector of music in high pass mode. Of course, you need to select the start and stop frequencies appropriately. As for the "sweep type" that is an independent question. That pertains to the shape of the curve on which the sweep takes place. That is something that I have found varies from one piece of music to the next, so I am not sure what will work the best on your Art Garfunkel recording. Experiment until it produces the smoothest transition.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig.

Comment

Working...
      X