Problem With Continuous Noise Filter Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Viking --

The CNF filter is explained begining on page 134 of the hardcopy manual. The red line is the spectrum of sampled noise. If I have a "good, quiet LP," my red line also dips down to -100 (the floor of the graph) as it approaches 10,000 HZ, although noisy LPs might have a some spikes beyond 10K.

The noise spectrum of a recent LP showed a fairly smooth curve from -50 at 11 HZ to -90 at 400 HZ, and then a very spiky trace to about 5000 HZ, where it "hit the floor." The spiky line continued along the floor to about 8000 HZ, where it dropped out of sight. Between 8000 and and the end of the spectrum, just past 11,000 HZ, there are 4 distinct spikes.

If you want to raise the entire spectrum line, go to the threshold box and click on "Shift Up."

But I've never had to do that to get the CNF to improve the audio file.

Please note that my understanding of, and competency with, DC6 is still best described as "a work in progress," and right now I'm still learning. A lot.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfrank
      The turntable can also be hooked directly into the sound card using the S/PDIF input.
      Since you can get a signal to the sound card this way instead of the Onkyo, you might want to try it just for grins. See if you don't get a better signal.

Also, gain normalization was mentioned. Personally, I wouldn't want to start with a file whose peaks are -17db and rely on gain normalization to bring it up. You certainly don't want to clip, but I try to get my peaks ~-5 to -3 db.

Lastly, you might want to consider getting a "New Way" pre-amp from Tracer. I think the difference in using the "New Way" to transfer the CD is well worth the modest price of the pre-amp.

Doug

Comment

"The New Way" (flat phono preamplifiers) can also be purchased from the Diamond Cut online store located at:

http://www.diamondcut.com/osc/index.php

The Diamond Cut Homepage is located at:

http://www.diamondcut.com

Actually, I performed the electrical design work for this line of products for them. There are three to choose from:

1. Solid State Stereo, Unbalanced
        2. Solid State Mono, Balanced (two are needed for Stereo)
        3. Tube based (12AX7) Stereo Balanced

I prefer the Solid State versions.

keywords: flat preamp availability, purchase flat preamplifiers, purchase flat phono preamplifiers, Diamond Cut Flat Phono Preamplifiers
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-31-2006, 10:23 AM.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

New Way

Craig,

Sorry! I forgot you sell them here now. That's the best place to pick one up!

Doug

Comment

Hi Craig

The Tacer tech suggested I run a connection between the headphone jack and the sound card. This would give me full control over the record level. What are your thoughts on this solution?

I tired your suggestion DougMac. The problem with connecting the turntable directly to the sound card is that I get to high a signal and the record level often spikes. If I could adjust the imput it would probably work out great.

I noticed a small problem with my DC6 program. Lately, after recording a sound file, I am unable to play it without restarting the program. Is this a bug with the program? I insalled all the up dates and I still have trouble.
            Last edited by vikingfrank; 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM.

Comment

That will work, but keep in mind that the signal is going through a power amplifier first. That means more noise and distortion will exist compared to what you would otherwise have, but it should work.

As for the DC6 software, it sounds like you should go into the preferences/soundcard and set it up for WDM drivers and check re-initialize at play feature. Some soundcards seem not to do reinitialize automatically, so we provide that function for those who need it.
              "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I tried connecting the headphone output to the sound card input and It solved all my problems. I now have total control over the record level.

I talked to Curtis at Tracer about the noise and distortion and he seems to think it should'nt be a problem with the Onkyo Receiver.

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X