X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassette Recording Before and After DC8 Enhancement

Folks,

Here are two links which take you to a "before" and then an "after" which demonstrates the capability of the DC8 enhancement system. Primarily used for this enhancement was the Sub-Harmonic Synthesizer, the Overtone Synthesizer and the Virtual Valve Amplifier.

The recording was made on cassette tape in circa 1980 at the Paramount Theatre located in Oakland, California. On Piano is Peter Mintun and at the Pipe Organ is the late Jim Roseveare. This recording is being used by permission of Peter Mintun.

The raw transfer is here:

http://www.diamondcut.com/Downloads/...oncert Raw.mp3

The DC8 enhanced transfer is here:

http://www.diamondcut.com/Downloads/...C8Enhanced.mp3

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 02:12 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

I thought the raw sounded pretty good until I heard the enhanced. The difference is like to 2D versus 3D. Gotta figure out how to use these tools on my 78s.

Comment

Hi Craig -

Did you add these presets to the preset exchange?

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan -

I think that I neglected to do that. But, the three key systems are outlined abovve. I do not remember the order in which I used them, however. Sorry about that -

Craig

Comment

That's fine, Craig. I didn't see it so I wondered. I am always looking for interesting presets!
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Again,

Although I did not save the preset after the "enhancement" I would have used the multifilter. My best guess is that I probably would have set up the filters in this order:

1. Overtone Synthesizer

2. Virtual Valve Amplifier {VVA} (no idea what tubes that I used, but I probably used the "sweet" mode based on the way that the result sounds.

3. Sub-Harmonic Synthesizer

And, order does matter with non-linear systems involved in the chain (like the VVA).

Next time, I will save the preset. I just did not think it too important at that time - it was done very casually.

Craig

Comment

OK - thanks Craig.
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Geeez, I am impressed
                Craig as I'd like to understand the way it has been done, have you done anything before mentioned enhancement?
                I mean any band pass filter, normalize, upsampling or whatever?

Comment

Hi,

As I recall, I just took the Cassette tape and digitized it at 44.1 kHz Sample Rate and 16 bits depth directly onto my workstation. Then, I created a multifilter with the mentioned effects in the line-up and that was it. Unfortunately, I did not save the settings. Nothing else was done besides those three processes other than to create uploadable files to post here. As I recall, they went from .wav to .mp3.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X