EZ-Clean Filter Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ-Clean Filter Delay

I have tried to use the EZ-Clean filter on cassette copies of old 78s and noticed the first 2-5 seconds of music, after running the filter, seem to be untouched. It is as if the filter kicks in after the recording has played for a little time. The rest of the song sounds good after the filter has kicked in. This filter would fit 85% of my needs but, because of the few seconds at the beginning, I cannot use it.

Is there something I am missing or a checkbox I am not checking?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-12-2019, 07:32 PM.

Hi,

The EZ Clean Filter is an adaptive filter. That means it has to calculate what its initial settings need to be and it can only do that after "hearing" a small section of the file. Thereafter, the filter continually adapts to varying noise situations via statistical analysis of the signal presented to it. Thus, the first few seconds of a file remain unprocessed when using the EZ Clean filter. To avoid that, paste a several second section of the beginning of the file back to the beginning of the file so that the filter can use that to make the calculations. You can edit that section out when you are done with the restoration.

Otherwise, the other filters (EZ Impulse, CNF - except auto spectrum) rely on feedback information and do not produce that delay effect.

I hope that helps,

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-10-2014, 09:16 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I will try that. I knew there was a simple solution to my problem.

Hal

Comment

Craig,

The begining of the file has the record run-in noise before the music starts. Should I replace the run-in noise with silence or with the first few seconds of the music? Thanks.

Comment

As I recall the algorithm, it may work with run-in noise on some 78s. However, on vinyl, it may need to measure the signal as well so as to establish a signal to noise ratio. It's easy to try it out each way and decide.

Craig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
          X