Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impulse Noise Filter

Hello,

I have a question about pops within a music file. I have tried the Impulse Noise Filter and it does not remove the pops I see and hear. Is there another filter within the program that can do a better job? I am using the Demo Audio WaveFile Declick option with the default settings. Should I try to increase the Threshold, Size, or Tracking? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM.

The Demo Audio Wavefile declick preset is for, just that, which is a circa 1928 or '29 (I forget exactly which year) 78 RPM Edison record. So, if you are working with Vinyl, that will be totally inappropriate. Put the impulse filter into Vinyl Mode, set the threshold control all the way down and adjust the tracking control for the best results. If it is pushed too far upwards, little declicking will occur. If it is pushed too far downwards, distortion will occur. The "sweet" spot will be found inbetween those two extremes. The size control should be set somewhere between between 5 to 14 depending on the nature of the impulses and their duration. I think that I would start with a preset* as a starting point for this. Determine the best size experimentally.

*ps - Millennium has an "LP DeClick" Starting point preset.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-27-2019, 11:52 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your help.

Comment

For general use, we highly recommend the use of the EZ Impulse noise filter in that it has adaptive elements to it's routine. The Expert Impulse Noise filter is more useful in Forensics applications or other special cases.

Comment

Petlydecker,

Did you try the filter with the demo file and the demo settings?

Marc

Comment

The EZ Impulse filter will always work best with a full - bandwidth signal. So, to get the pops, it is best to use it in the following sequence: Transfer with flat preamp at 48 or 96 kHz > apply correct EQ curve via the Virtual Phono Preamp > Apply the EZ Impulse Filter > Apply the Big Click filter > down convert the sample rate to 44.1 kHz > apply the Continuous Noise Filter > then apply any other process that you desire to use.

Craig
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-29-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X