Sub-harmonic Synthesizer Improvements found in DCart10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-harmonic Synthesizer Improvements found in DCart10

The Diamond Cut Sub-harmonic synthesizer has proven itself to be quite popular with our user base. It produces 'perfect' halves of the various frequencies below the effects Frequency control setting. However, sometimes it is more musical sounding to have imperfect divisible values of the stimulating frequencies driving the effect. So, we added a control to allow the effect to produce sub-harmonics that are imperfect in the sense that they can be made to be sharper or flatter than perfect. In other words, normally a pure A2 would be 110 Hz and the sub-harmonic synthesizer would convert that to 55 Hz. Now, you can make that sub-harmonic sharper or flatter via the 'Cents' slider control. This control has a range of +/- 200 Cents (a very wide range). Using positive values of 'Cents' produces sharper sounding values of sub-harmonics while using negative values produces flatter sounding sub-harmonics. If you set the Cents control to zero, the sub-harmonics are perfect divisible's of two (just as in the older version of the algorithm). To add even more flexibility to this routine, you can cascade several of them in the multi-filter and create a wide range of interesting low frequency synthesized sounds including 'beating' effects using multiple and different values of "Cents".

A further improvement in the Sub-harmonic synthesizer involves the implementation of a "Male Voice Discriminator" checkbox feature. Sometimes, male voices have been known to bleed into the sub-harmonic system during vocals (especially bass vocals). Using this check-box will substantially reduce this negative effect on those types of vocals.

Experiment around with these things and I think you will find the new features interesting and very useful. At least we hope so.

Craig

ps - one Octave contains 12 semitones and each semitone contains 100 cents. For more information, please look for it out in the DCart10 user's manual or helpfile.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Indeed...this is a very useful tool. The application note 10 talks about how I was able to use an older version of this tool to improve acoustic recordings. I have used the new tool and it helps even more.

Marc

Comment

It's good to know that is not only better in theory, but also in practice.

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X