Running DCart10.xx on Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running DCart10.xx on Windows XP

We had never tested DCart10.xx on the Windows XP operating system, but this past week a customer called and informed us that it worked fine on his XP system. Normally, we go through extensive alpha and beta testing of a product on various operating systems so we can not guarantee that everything works perfectly in that environment. DCart10.xx has been extensively tested on Win7,8 and 10. I thought that I would post this information if you want to try it on XP.

Note: Since Microsoft no longer supports XP, we would not recommend running your XP machine on the internet. Perhaps, download the software via a Microsoft supported computer onto a CD-R and then transferring it from the CD-R into a directory under the C drive on your XP machine from that media. Then, install the program from that XP C drive directory.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-14-2019, 03:17 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Interesting that it can be done; however, Windows XP has been end-of-life for four years now.. That's four years worth of no security updates. Windows 7 is going end-of-life in 2020 (as I write this on my Windows 7 laptop).

I agree; if you use it, probably want to keep it off the internet, or at least make sure you've got a good anti-virus software (I believe I've seen there are some that still work with XP, but they are getting fewer and fewer, as they would prefer you start with a fairly secure O/S in the first place (computer security is the business of anti-virus vendors after all).

John

Comment

We agree that it is not a good idea to run the Diamond Cut Productions DCart10.xx or DCForrnsics10.xx on Windows XP for the reasons that you stated. We do not recommend it.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-14-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I use this software on the Windows XP computer and I haven't met with any problems with it so far. The reason is pretty simple-it works just faster. Every new system has more and more tasks working in the background which take needed processor power, disk I/O and memory resources. The newest Windows 10 is on the top of such activities with tons of background services, tasks and programs out of control of the user.
        Security is an important reason, anyway the weakest point is always human behaviour.

Comment

When we test a product, we try to go through many possible permutations that are possible looking for bugs. That has been done with DCArt10.xx (and DCForensics10.xx) on Win7,8 and 10. It has not been done on XP. So, if it works that is fine, but it is not a supported configuration if something goes wrong. As a matter of fact, I do not think we have any machines at the company running Diamond Cut software on XP, so we would not even be able to verify any bugs or issues if they came up.

Craig
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-14-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Sure, anyway I have tested it during beta tests hardly on XP machines. As long as it can work on this system, I am not going to install it on Windows 7 because of above reasons. For me and many millions users the end of MS support doesn't mean to stop using it immediately. Frankly speaking I don't plan to run WIn 10 in the nearest time as based on my friends experiences, almost every system upgrade or monthly patches create new problems not known before IMHO it still looks like in the beta stage. So for audio purposes I'm gonna stick with XP. But it is of course another story.

Comment

As long as it is working for you, it is very hard for anyone to argue with your success!

Enjoy it.

Craig
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Maybe XP users should use this thread to share their experiences with regard to Diamond Cut version 10 products running on XP. You may learn a lot from each others if anomalies are discovered and workarounds are developed.

As an aside, I always liked the XP operating system more than the rest. It was extremely versatile and very intuitive to use. But alas, the industry drives us in certain directions and we must follow the standard operating systems that are popular.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X