My Vinyl LP (or 45s) Settings for the EZ Impulse Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Vinyl LP (or 45s) Settings for the EZ Impulse Filter

Here are the settings that I use on Vinyl LPs or Vinyl 45s with the EZ Impulse Filter, which produce good results.

First, I transfer the record at a 48 kHz sample rate and 16 bits of resolution (the extended top - end of the audio spectrum is of advantage to the impulse filter(s).. I use a flat preamp, but you do not necessarily have to do that. Since I do use one, I then apply the correct EQ curve (usually RIAA) via the Virtual Phono Preamp before proceeding. If you used an RIAA preamp, this step is only necessary if you are restoring a record mastered prior to around 1955. RIAA was not the standard up until around that date and the VPP has a myriad of re-EQ curves to create the proper transfer function for the record in question.

Then, I use the EZ Impulse Filter with the following settings (with very good results):

Scratch 10.0 to 12.0

Crackle: 35

Narrow Crackle: 60 to 65

(Solo-Brass Checkbox checked if either of those are present on the recording)

(Big Clicks checked only if a serious scratch is present on the recording - it will do a nice job of eliminating it if that is present).

Sometimes, I will put two of those in tandem (cascade) in a Multifilter with the same settings for severely damaged LPs (or 45s).

After I have completed that process, I use the Change Sample Rate converter (edit menu) to bring the file down to 44.1 kHz for further work. It actually improves the results of the next step, which is the CNF (Continuous Noise Filter) because the frequency resolution is better at 44.1 kHz at a given fft size compared to 48 kHz.

Questions are invited

Craig

ps - I remove extraneous pulses via the manual interpolate (I-key), but usually there are very few to have to deal with unless the record was in very bad shape to start with.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-30-2020, 02:30 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield
Working...
X