Sound card problems / fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card problems / fixes

First - you should start a forum for non-version-specific issues, such as hardware problems.

Second, after doing considerable work on the "chime distortion" problem in my last post, it finally occured to me to look at the background noise from my sound card (no one ever accused me of being overly swift, I have been doing this stuff for more than 4 years and never thought of it until today).

It turns out that, before the needle actually touches a record, I am recording a considerable pile of noise from my turntable/pre-amp/amp/sound card/cables. In the past, I have been eliminating this with the continuous noise filter applied after getting rid of the clicks and pops, but, the impulse filter has often done a lot of damage to cymbals, chimes, saxiphones and so on, and I have ended up with a very faint, high pitched artifact after all is said and done.

I will investigate further to try to eliminate the sources of these noises, but in the meantime, I have done some basic pre-conditioning of the file as follows:

Notch filter to take out spikes at 540 Hz and aprox 6000 Hz.
    Rumble filter to cut everything below 70 Hz

After this, I have manually taken out a dozen very large impulses, then run the LP start point impulse filter, then the continuous noise filter using a sample from between cuts on the vinyl. The result is very, very, very pleasing!!!

It turns out that the noise from the audio path has been fooling the impulse filter, despite all attempts to adjust tracking, size and so on. And the high frequency artifact is gone.

My advice: try taking a sample of your input before the needle touches down, use the spectrum display to see if you have some noise spikes, and then take them out using notch and high-pass filters before applying the impulse filter. Use the keyboard arrow keys to "fine tune" the notch filter center frequency, and then use as narrow a bandwidth as possible to get rid of the spikes.

Hope this will help.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 12:55 PM.
Working...
X