Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper use of impulse filter parameters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper use of impulse filter parameters?

Okay, another chance to embarrass myself.

My motivation in using DCart32 is to get a second life out of the hundreds of LPs turning to mold in my basement. Also, I get to amuse my children by showing them how I used to listen to music!

My first step in processing the recorded .wav file is to use the impulse noise filter. I noticed three filter parameters in particular, and their names got me to wondering about procedures. The parameters are:
    • Vinyl first pass using HQ mode
    • Vinyl second pass using HQ mode
    • Vinyl third pass using HQ mode

My question is, should I run the audio file through the impulse filter using the first filter, make the destination file the source, run the second impulse noise filter, etc.

Or should I preview it with each succeeding filter parameter and then run it with the one I like best?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by cromag; 02-23-2006, 03:02 AM. Reason: correct formatting to look not dumb

Originally posted by cromag
    ...I get to amuse my children by showing them how I used to listen to music!
    By "music!" I'm guessing you mean as opposed to what they think is music.
    ...should I run the audio file through the impulse filter using the first filter, make the destination file the source, run the second impulse noise filter, etc.

Or should I preview it with each succeeding filter parameter and then run it with the one I like best?...
    I'm not familiar with the program, but from the names of the filters it sounds like they're meant to be run successively. So I'd run the first, listen to the result. If it sounds like you could use more or you're not sure, run the second. If it's too much, back up and use the first pass only. If you're happy, consider moving on to the third. I wouldn't start with the second or third one unless DC32 has a live preview capability. They're apparently meant to build on one another.

HB

Comment

I don't remember if DC32 has batch capability or not, but if so, I believe you'd be better off putting them in a batch file and running them all at once, in the "first pass, second pass, etc." order. That way you minimize some of the potential for digital artificats.

I believe that the manual actually lists a recommended way of doing this (if you're not using batch), as each pass affects what the next pass has to work with. It's been a long time since I had DC32, but I'm pretty sure there was a section of the manual that dealt with those issues. If not, check here on the website for "de-clicking" and you should be able to get all your answers from earlier posts.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, batch mode and the multifilter came after DCArt 32.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks again, guys.

It doesn't look like I have batch file processing. I've read the manual, but it's an Adobe file and is a little light on details. Still, the journey is its own reward!

Audyossey said:

By "music!" I'm guessing you mean as opposed to what they think is music.
          Well, yes, they were making faces... Of course, my Dad has it worst of all. He's been waiting 50 years for something to replace Rock & Roll, and he got Rap!

Comment

but check the posts here, because there's a wealth of material on de-clicking. A lot of times, Craig and others offer a huge amount of information in the posts that can help you understand the basic principles. Just do a search for "de-clicking" and start with the early ones and go forward. It will probably take an hour or so, but it will be an hour well spent.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan McDonald said:
              Just do a search for "de-clicking" and start with the early ones and go forward. It will probably take an hour or so, but it will be an hour well spent.
              I already doing that, but it's taking way more than an hour. The problem is, I'm easily distracted!

Comment

Working...
              X