No announcement yet.

.wav as the archival standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, more like fading out about a minute before the end of the song, then the silence, then the ka-chunk, then a little more silence, then the fade in of the last 30-seconds of the song so it can just fade out on its own anyway. That used to just drive me batty.

Man, I hated 8-track tapes (I passed on 8-tracks and went straight to cassettes for my portable media).
    John

Comment

A friend had one and I heard it once; I never owned one! What a horrible concept! Ya can not get more musically insensitive than that thing.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I worked at "Burger Chef" in my last year in high school and bought an 8-track. It sounded pretty good, but within a year Cassette players for the car were out and I bought one of them to replace it. The first cassette I got for the car had a built-in microphone on the side so that you could use it as a dictation machine. Kind of cool, but I never used it. Of course, 18-year-olds don't usually have a lot to dictate. In any event, the cassette wasn't as clear as the 8-track, but it sure was nicer to have the 45 minutes of uninterrupted music.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Dan McDonald
          The first cassette I got for the car had a built-in microphone on the side so that you could use it as a dictation machine. Kind of cool, but I never used it.
          Dan
          Too bad. Think of all the Friday night memories you could have taped!

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DougMac
            Too bad. Think of all the Friday night memories you could have taped!

Doug
            True... but I have enough embarrassing tapes already.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Ahhh, memories. I never saw the sense of 8-tracks, either. I went straight for cassettes. My first player (1969?) was a very large Bell+Howell unit that I mounted on the floor (on the transmission "hump") of my old station wagon. It was completely independent of the existing radio, not unusual at the time, which was a good thing since the radio used a single 6x9 speaker in the dashboard.

I got a tip from a friend which I used for every stereo I installed in a car, up to the early '90s -- hook up a center channel speaker using the "hot lead" from both the right and left channels. I never saw that in any documentation, so I was always pretty cautious about it, but it made a big difference compared to just the two speakers.

Comment

Quoting Cromag:

" - - - hook up a center channel speaker using the "hot lead" from both the right and left channels."

-------------------------------------------

That applies the difference signal to the center channel speaker. It was not an uncommon scheme and filled in the middle nicely provided that you used a fairly high efficiency loudspeaker in the middle. A more realistic technique is as follows and involves using two additional speakers with 4 total:

Take the left and right channels and add 8 Ohm resistors to the hot side of each amplifier outputs. Create a node consisting of the 2 x 8 Ohm resistors and connect it to the hot side of a center channel speaker and then connect the cold side of the speaker to the amplifiers common return. Put this speaker in the front middle of the system. That creates a more realistic front center channel because the summed signal (rather than the difference) is applied.

Then, connect a rear located speaker between the amplifier hot outputs; this difference signal usually contains the ambience information and thusly is quite realistic when its sound comes from behind the listener. This was an early and crude form of Quad.
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                  LOL - no, I do not. But, I always think about purchasing a new toy around this time of the year. Last year it was a Tbyte USB hard drive and this year Rick is thinking about getting one and we were just chatting about it. I also am considering purchasing another one too.

ps - if I recall correctly, you put me onto the idea of the Tbyte drive last year. It was an excellent purchase. Of course, I had to buy a second one to back it up. It really is great having my entire record collection right at the tips of my fingers. I love to take a challenge from friends (using the DCTune Library). I ask them to name a song and I will bring it up and start it playing in three seconds. Almost always, I can do that successfully.
                  Well, I must have been a good "little" boy this year. My Mother got me a flat phono preamp and my GF just told me I'm getting another hard drive.... just what I wanted!!!!

GB

Comment

GB -

Yeah, those are great boys toys!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                      GB -

Yeah, those are great boys toys!
                      How true.... You would have laughed the way my GF asked me about the hard drive.... She said... " You'll probably want another hard drive or some other crap for Christmas, won't you?"

When I said yes!!!! She said... "Figures...OK, then....that was easy enough".

Clearly, she wasn't too thrilled .....

GB

Comment

It's worth noting that the Diamond Cut Productions Audio Software does support .flac. We just do not recommend using it for your archive, but it is your choice.

Craig

Comment

Fast forward to today. I have an 8 T byte drive that cost $100.00

Use .wav

Marc

Comment

Indeed. I hope that a lot of people took the advice to stick with .wav for their archives. 8 Terabytes for 100 bucks - incredible, but not surprising.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X