Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John R. T. Davies Method

Group,

I just picked up some CD's of Cab Calloway's music restored by John Davies. The date on the restorations is 2001.

If you research John D., you will find a very interesting "character". One key thing about him, was that he was a musician and had a good sense of what the music should sound like.

I noticed that many of the songs had background noise that is from the 78 material. I'm tempted to use the DC tools to clean up the music some more.

Anyone have any music done by John Davies ?

Marc

Rick and I did some work on a sub-contract basis for John R.T. Daives. Our restorations of materials from his collection can be found on several of his releases. Of course, we used an early version of DCArt.

Craig

ps - never met the man (he lived in the UK) but did speak with him on the phone on several occasions and via email too.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-19-2017, 02:20 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I just did a little research on my audio hard drive which goes way back in time. I found the following tunes in three levels of signal processing of Red Nichols and done for John R.T. Davies. The history is a little fuzzy, but I think that John had a record collector here in the US deliver these records to us to transfer and to clean up using Diamond Cut DCArt. Here are the tunes:

Alabama Stomp

Black Bottom Stomp

Hurricane

Pardon the Glove

Stampede

After that project was completed, John sent us a CD of the final product, but I am having a hard time finding it in my collection. It has to be improperly filed. I also vaguely recall doing some transfer and restoration work for him on Miff Mole, but I do not recall the details. I will have to research that a bit and see what I can find.

Craig

Comment

My wife found the Red Nichols CD. It was not in the proper order on the CD shelf. The title of it is "Red Nichols on Edison" (Recorded in New York,1924 - 27) on the Jazz Oracle Label (BDW-8007). It looks like I was the one who did the transfers and restorations on the tunes mentioned above. The credits in the liner notes are as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This CD is the result of the considerable cooperation and effort of many collectors and researchers. We acknowledge, with thanks, the help we have received from Ken Crawford, Jeff Healey, Stan Hester, Bob Lang, Craig Maier, Gene Miller, Joe Moore, Ross Wilby, Ray Wile, Jim Williams and Art Zimmerman. We are particularly grateful to George Teslos, Archivist at the Edison National Historic Site in West Orange, New Jersey for making take C of Hurricane available to us.

Jazz Oracle (circa 1998)
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Craig,

​Did you ever have any conversations with him regarding the "concept" of restoration of the sound, or how much extra bass or treble to add ?

Marc

Comment

Marc,

No, I did not. He owned a few of our CDs and was aware that we had used our own software to clean them up. I guess he was satisfied with our methods and software since he did sub-contract us to do some restorations for him. I do recall him recommending us to use just a very small touch of reverb (almost inaudible). And, so I think that I did that for him.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X