X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free 78 Music Downloads

Here is a site offering free old 78 RPM record downloads:

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/l...ee-to-download

I listened to one record, and it was not de-clicked or de-noised at all. So, you will have to do some restoration work to make them sound as good as they can be. Check it out.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Craig and Other's

What format would be best to use when you download music from the site ?

Marc

Comment

Hi,

I think that they offer it in .flac which is compatible with Diamond Cut Productions software. That is a non-lossy compression scheme.

Craig

Comment

I have about 5 CDs full of my Dad's 78s digitized using various versions of DC, a Dual TT (at 45, RIAA removed and converted to 78.25 in DC), Stanton 681 cart with Stanton 78 stylus. Probably another couple of CDs worth left to do. This project is willing to accept them, but would prefer (based on an email I got back from them after inquiry) to get the actual records shipped to them which they then digitize themselves (through George Blood's organization). Their policy is to digitize flat, then apply one of a few standard EQs, and leave them that way. So well-used records will have a lot of -ahem- issues. They do say they will accept digitized files (.flac), but want them fully documented, in flat form (no EQ or other processing; they'll do that themselves), preferably recorded several times with different styli, in CD resolution or better, etc. Yes, pickypicky. But their purpose is archiving, not publishing - if you want to clean them up, download it and do it yourself. Also note: they are concentrating on 10" popular music; they don't want 12" or classical.

Then I can start on the old LPs ... some from the late '40s/early '50s for which I'll need to guess EQ.

Comment

Many Diamond Cut software users transfer flat using a flat phono preamplifier. Then, they apply the correct turnover curve using the Diamond Cut Productions Virtual Phono Preamp which does the EQ job precisely. As for different stylii, Rick and I when doing the Edison Laterals archive project selected the best stylus as we went ahead, record by record. We selected from among around 8 different 78 rpm based stylii (Stanton). We would experiment and then choose the stylus that gave the best signal to noise ratio with a minimal amount of distortion (we recorded both groove walls). BTW - most electrical 78s were EQed (turnover). Check out the section in the users manual on the Virtual Phono Preamp for details.

Craig

Comment

I forgot to mention about early LP EQ Curves. If you go to the Diamond Cut Virtual Phono Preamplifier, you will find many presets for the various labels and EQ curves used prior to the standardization of the RIAA curve. The most obvious one is the Columbia LP EQ curve (which was so common, it is a checkbox in the VPP). Other labels can be found in the presets for the VPP.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X