Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer for Audio Use

Group,

I just finished changing my Audio Computer ( from Tracer about 6 years ago) to Windows 10. It was at the Windows 7 level when new.

I'm considering a new system that I would build myself. Have any users built their own system ? If so, can you provide some details ?

Marc

I am quite limited in my knowledge of computer hardware. Here are some things that do come to my mind however. The REALTEK chipset on the mother board claims 96 kHz sample rate. But, it is not really so. When I record random noise at 96 kHz and then look at the result on the spectrum analyzer, it brick-walls at 24
    kHz, so it is just emulating anything above the 48 kHz sample rate. I am cognizant, however from some research work that I performed as a consultant in the field of ultra-sonics that high-end sound cards can be obtained that go up to 210 kHz sample rate (100 kHz bandwidth) and the Diamond Cut software supports that. Our software was used in that particular research project (a biomedical engineering project which is all that I can really say about it). But, the sound card was around $1000.00.

Another thing that one might consider is to purchase a good isolation transformer for the computer having multiple electrostatic shields to break any ground loops that might exist between your computer (and computer monitor) and your sound system. I have one of those here and it makes a noticeable difference in noise floor levels. The best ones used to be made by company by the name of Topaz, and maybe one can be obtained on ebay. It is only needed on the computer and monitor themselves; the rest of the audio equipment can be plugged directly into the AC mains power source. The isolation transformer breaks the largest source of ground loop current which is your computer and monitor.

Of course, it is important to have separate Line Level inputs and Line Level outputs. The mic level input is usually monophonic, with one of the TRS connections being phantom power, not the other channel of a stereo feed.

Maybe somebody else can comment further on this topic; the state of the art changes every few years, from what I can tell.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-04-2020, 04:24 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Here are some Application Notes that may help you match your needs with the available hardware on the market:

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/knowledge-base/

Comment

Another thing that I note is this: professional restoration outfits (like the FBI, CIA, and so forth) all use fully balanced audio inputs and outputs, meaning either TRS or ITT Cannon type. These connections further lower the noise floor of the audio system.

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X