Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part One Edison Diamond Disc Transcriptions

Group,

I'm taking a break from my Transcription Work. I have logged in to my music system 908 Acoustic Edison Diamond Disc Songs and 186 Electric Diamond Disc Songs. Some of these songs I have had for many years and some are recently bought.

I have modified and improved the noise removal methods over the years and I'm ready to work on this batch again as I like to always have the "latest methods" applied to my work.

I have another batch of "new" ones ready when these are finished.

Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-04-2020, 05:59 PM.

Marc,

Looking forward to hearing some of these. As you know, I am very familiar with Edison's lateral cut (thin cut) electrical recordings, but only have a very few electrical Diamond Discs here.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Just thinking about that Diamond Disc Collection that you have there consisting of 547 records; that is a heavy load on a record shelf! We only have around 50 Diamond Discs and they weigh enough that it hurts my back to think about moving them!

Craig

ps - I had to do the math on that. 1 Diamond Disc weighs 1 pound, so you have over a quarter of a ton of records there (an interesting way to think about it). I knew moving them would kill my back!
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-05-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Craig,

I do not know what the original Edison Specification was for the Diamond Disc Records.

A random sample of 10 records from my collection gave an average of 15.413 Ounces with a standard deviation of 0.675 Ounce.My guess is that the nominal weight was 1 Lb. but there is quite a variation.
        The same sample gave a thickness average of 0.236 inch so I am guessing that the nominal thickness was 0.250.

Some of the collection are stored in steel office furniture that was made in the past and quite sturdy. Each drawer is 22 inches deep so about 80 records are in each drawer. I use a total of four drawers for the better records or 320 records.

My Edison C-9 player holds 30 records and the rest are in boxes on sturdy wooden shelves.

Marc

Comment

Here's another interesting perspective on your Diamond Disc record collection. It would occupy 11.4 feet of linear shelf space. When you have transferred and cleaned up all of those discs, the results will fit on a thumb drive that you can carry around in a pocket, and the quality will be better than the sources. Further, you will end up with 73 hours of music on that thumb drive! Pretty incredible when I think about it.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-05-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X