Miracle belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle belt?

Recently I have had some serious issues with my turntables. The arm my Yamaha PX-2 linear track is sticking & the arm height adjustment is frozen, and after bringing my Technics SL-1600MKII for a speed display issue, I got it back unfixed with the addition of a now non working table suspension. I can't find any one to work on either of these machines because of their complexity!

I have been forced to resort to my emergency secondary backup table, an old belt drive Yamaha PF-800. Last time I used this, I would have to nudge the platter to get it moving... And to make things worse, it is a straight arm P-mount system, limiting the cartridges I can use. So I did 2 things. I found a standard mount cartridge adapter on Ebay, and decided to purchase a high quality replacement belt that I found at LP Gear.

The new belt performed better than expected! Of course a strobe disc showed smoother movement, but a test with an old P-mount cartridge gave me something I didn't expect. It was a closeout cartridge I purchased 30+ years ago at a Best Buy outlet. A Shure V-15 HR-P that I never liked. One channel was louder than the other. It was dull sounding with mids that sounded muddy & non very detailed. (Yetch!) But now, there is no channel imbalance, and the mids are very detailed with an amazing 3 dimensional soundstage. It's not bright sounding like an Ortofon 2M, but the treble is there & smooth sounding. I was so impressed, I restored 4 LP's yesterday with it!

If you're not liking the sound of your belt drive turntable, you might be surprised at what a new decent quality belt might do...

HELP! Does anyone out there know a good seasoned technician that would be familiar with either of my main turntables for repair? I have heard of Professor Bizzt who is a professional with Yamaha linear tracks, but he is 6 months out - talk about popular. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by DJBohn; 11-22-2020, 09:23 AM.

Stuarts Audio in Westfield, NJ is the only place that comes to my mind. But that may be too far for you.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

DJBohn,

Sadly, most times the best you can do is fix it yourself. While there are many "experts" for these older technology devices, many are just amateur's and you could do a better job with some time spent reading and researching the operation.

I'm currently working on an Ithaca Calendar clock that was "fixed" in the past. The previous person did a poor job repairing the time and chime section. Luckily they did not touch the calendar part so I have less work to un-repair previous work.

Marc

Comment

Thanks everyone. Craig, I'll give Stuart's a call tomorrow. I figured I was going to have to ship the Yamaha somewhere. These units also are prone to sensor issues in the arm. Marc - I could probably fix the new suspension problem on the Technics, but the original problem is with the non functioning LED speed display and the LED & sensor array under the platter that determines the record size for one button full single play automation. Too many component level repairs - I only have a multimeter & don't have a scope. And they are a nightmare under the hood.

Comment

I worked as a repair technician while in High School (after hours), so they used to have good people working there They only sold top shelf equipment (Marantz, McIntosh, Fisher, etc). Not sure what their situation is today, since that was back circa '65 to '67.

Craig

Comment

Quick update, Craig, I am awaiting a reply from Stuart. They are still going strong, but they are now an A/V showroom and do home theater installs. The rep I spoke to said they don't have a repair department anymore, but Stuart is still doing turntable repairs himself.

I have also scrapped my old V-15 cartridge. Although the mids sounded OK, the highs drop off smoothly but quickly above 10kHz - I'm thinking after 30 years, the cantilever rest and/or its suspension is probably dried out and hard - even with a good diamond it could still damage the vinyl. I am considering a new Grado P-mount for this table. It may be a cartridge of interest for Diamond Cut users. They have both Monophonic & 78 carts available. I am looking at their Gold 3 model that uses an MI motor structure with a 47k ohm compatibility for use with the CTP-1000 flat preamp! A lot of technology in this cart. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Comment

The best way to transfer 78s is via a stereo cart and then use the VPP or the File Conversion Filter to select the proper vector.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X