Audio Mentor doesn't see my second CD Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig-

Just an addendum in regards to the issue with my 2nd CD/DVD writer not being recognized within Mentor... I just received my hard copy of Mentor in the mail today; It is ver. 1.1. Now, that version sees both writers on my system that has the 'normal' drive configuration with a IDE primary and secondary configuration.

However the system with the SATA (serial) AND Parallel drives; one from a on board IDE connector, and the other from a PCI daughter card, still does not show 2 drives within the Mentor CD writing screen.

I think it's NOT a Mentor issue, but an issue with the strange configuration I have with the 2 CD writers. I plan to get a replacement 2nd drive that is SATA. When I do that, I bet the problem disappears. I will advise you when I change the configuration to let you know if this solves the issue.

GB

Comment

Mmmmm...

Well, I guess I still have an issue with Mentor not recognizing both of my disc drives in my system. Today I replaced the old CD/DVD recorder and now I have 2 SATA drives installed.

Mentor still sees that I only have 1 drive installed. Again, no other recording software is on the machine. If this makes a difference, I am using ver. 1.4 now.

GB

Comment

Problem SOLVED!!!!

Craig-

I just want to say before I explain in detail that you have taught me well. You have always stressed that 1 experiment is worth a thousand speculations and it was so true again.

I have the problem solved in regards to DC Mentor only recognizing 1 CD/DVD drive in my system.

I just started playing around with the program and with my settings in the computer, the bios, display, audio settings etc.

At least on both of my computers that I have; one DELL, one Compaq, the same scenario resulted IF within the "Display" parameters in Control Panel the "use large fonts" selection is utilized. When the "use large fonts" is checked, Mentor only shows 1 CD/DVD drive and NO drop down box is shown either. As soon as I went back to using normal fonts within the Display, I can select either of my writers within Mentor.

Also, to furher my tests, I installed another disc creation software package on the system along with Mentor and all is still well. Both function perfectly together and I can still use either drive within Mentor.

I hope this info will help others that may be experiencing a similar situation.

GB

Comment

Interesting - - - that would not have occurred to me that quickly, and it is good to know. I guess that the Mentor display field is missing some data when "Large Fonts" are chosen. Do you agree with that assessment?
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
            Interesting - - - that would not have occurred to me that quickly, and it is good to know. I guess that the Mentor display field is missing some data when "Large Fonts" are chosen. Do you agree with that assessment?
            Yes. The only reason I tried it, that I remember in the early Windows era (3.1) that the "use large fonts" selection would interfere with a large variety of programs, so I thought that it may be affecting the display within Mentor as well.

It was just one of those darn things that didn't matter much, but I wanted a resolution, just for the sake of resolution.

As least we have a clue if this happens to someone else again.

GB

Comment

I have one final point to bring up about 2 cd writers not being displayed within the Mentor program.

I still have no idea if the fact that I had one regular IDE AND a SATA in the same system had any ill effects on Mentor. I didn't diagnose it soon enough to know. By the time I had figured it out, I had already put a SATA drive in.

I do know that the daughter card (ultra 133 PCI) to connect to the IDE drive was flaky. Certain diagnostic tools such as Nero's info tool would give me a Windows system halt with that card installed.

Now that the daughter card is gone, everything is working perfectly.

GB

Comment

Working...
              X