What CD drive to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What CD drive to use

It appears that my existing CD drive is not capable of recording properly with the program. I checked it also with Windows Media Player with the same result.

Can you recommend a drive that works smoothly with the program?

Thanks, Eric
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-26-2019, 05:15 PM.

Hi Eric:

In theory, since CD-Rom drives are legacy devices, it shouldn't make any difference what drive you use.

I don't claim to be an expert about anything; but I have seen this situation before. Providing the drive in question is working, I have seen WMP itself create this scenario.

I re-installed Windows Media Player with the latest version and the problem disappeared.

I'm not saying this is your issue, I just wanted to pass on my experience with you.

Hopefully, it isn't the drive and you'll find a reasonable fix soon...

Regards,
    GB

Comment

Right, GB.

Also see if you've installed any other software recently, Eric. Sometimes different CD writing software conflict in some way. It gets to be a labyrinth sometimes.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi, Regarding potential software conflict, I've tried a lot of stuff: removing and replacing WMP, removing Nero and scouring the registry of any Nero stuff. It's a bummer because mentor is a cool program, and I've got huge pile of 78s and LPs I'm trying to digitize. Cheers, Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hubbard
          Hi, Regarding potential software conflict, I've tried a lot of stuff: removing and replacing WMP, removing Nero and scouring the registry of any Nero stuff. It's a bummer because mentor is a cool program, and I've got huge pile of 78s and LPs I'm trying to digitize. Cheers, Eric
          Eric, I have successfully used Mentor with Nero, but if there is an issue between programs be sure you download the software removal tool from Nero.
          That way you can be sure all traces of Nero are eliminated.

Does your CD-Rom drive work properly with other programs?

I've thrown a lot of odd software/hardware combos at Mentor and have never had a major problem..

Comment

The drive would burn using Nero, but will not with WMP or Mentor. WMP will not recognize the drive as CDRW, only CDR. Same with control panel, only sees CDR, not CDRW. That's why I was thinking it might not be a compatible drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hubbard
              The drive would burn using Nero, but will not with WMP or Mentor. WMP will not recognize the drive as CDRW, only CDR. Same with control panel, only sees CDR, not CDRW. That's why I was thinking it might not be a compatible drive.
              I would see if the manufacturer of the drive has any firmware updates, and the same with your computer's bios. If those are up-to-date, I would positively make sure that all instances of Nero or any other authoring software is removed from your system. If WMP or Mentor still do not function properly, there could be some minor issue with the drive that is causing the problem.

Good Luck....

GB

Comment

Sorry to hear about your drive problems - I'm sure it's frustrating.
                I had a somewhat similar problem (although not with a DC program) a year or so ago. I was trying to keep using an older CD writer because of some useful software that only worked with it. When I upgraded to a run-of-the mill DVD writer all my problems disappeared. When I figured out the time I had spent trying to fix the problem with the old unit and compared it to the <$100 price for the new unit it turned out to be false economy - and I got DVD reading/writing capability as a bonus! For what its worth...
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                  Sorry to hear about your drive problems - I'm sure it's frustrating.
                  I had a somewhat similar problem (although not with a DC program) a year or so ago. I was trying to keep using an older CD writer because of some useful software that only worked with it. When I upgraded to a run-of-the mill DVD writer all my problems disappeared. When I figured out the time I had spent trying to fix the problem with the old unit and compared it to the <$100 price for the new unit it turned out to be false economy - and I got DVD reading/writing capability as a bonus! For what its worth...
                  Brian
                  Good point Brian...
                  Many times when I ran my computer service facility, I would ask the customer....Do you want me to try and diagnose the root cause of the problem for $100-200 minimum, or do you want me to put in a new part for $100?

Time is money, and often times it's just not worth trying to salvage a part...

GB

Comment

Working...
                  X