Will Not Install On Windows 7 - Path Too Long Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Not Install On Windows 7 - Path Too Long Message

I upgraded my PC from Windows/XP to Windows 7. It worked installed easily and worked perfectly under Windows/XP.

Now the install of Audio Mentor does not work. During the install process it comes up with a message that says the path to install the files is too long.

How do I resolve this problem? Thank you.

Hi,

I believe that Mentor was written back in the XP time frame (circa 2000). The system requirements for Mentor probably did not anticipate Windows 7 path rules, but I will check on that.

We wrote DC8 and Forensics8 to be compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8. But, there is no Mentor 8 so to speak.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Again,

Here is something that I just remembered about Windows 7. I was told that there is an XP emulation mode to run older software programs. I do not know how to set up that emulation mode, but apparently it is part of Win 7 O/S. Perhaps somebody else here has used that feature and can shed light on it.

Craig

Comment

It's been a long time and I don't recall how that software installs, but if it lets you, then I think that some older Windows programs get around it by installing directly to the C drive. that is, C:\Mentor or something like that.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Craig and Dan,

Thank you for your replies.

When they upgraded me to Windows 7 they used the Home Premium level. Unfortunately the XP Emulator is only available in the Professional and above levels.

I presume there are no plans to upgrade Mentor.

I'm wondering if DC8 has some simple functions like the ones in Mentor.

Comment

Hi,

DC8 is quite different compared to Mentor. DC8 is a full featured audio restoration system and audio editor. It does have some automated filters to make some operations simple like the EZ Clean Filter, the EZ Enhancer and the EZ Impulse filter. You can run a 15 day free trial demo to see if it fits your needs. The demo can be found here:

http://www.diamondcut.com/store/inde...products_id=31

Craig
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
              Hi Again,

Here is something that I just remembered about Windows 7. I was told that there is an XP emulation mode to run older software programs. I do not know how to set up that emulation mode, but apparently it is part of Win 7 O/S. Perhaps somebody else here has used that feature and can shed light on it.

Craig
              According to Microsoft, when running in the XP emulation mode, the computer can be hit with a virus and the damage can be permanent. What this means is that even though the operating system runs say Windows 7, when you have your system in XP emulation mode, you will be open to new viruses, specific to XP, and you will be in trouble.

So, I would NOT run XP mode.

Marc

Comment

Hi,

If one runs a program like Mentor in XP emulation mode, is the computer only vulnerable if it is online at the same time that Mentor is running? In other words, if the user operates Mentor in XP emulation mode, but makes sure that they are not online, are they still vulnerable in some manner? And, if they do go online but make sure that Mentor is shut down while online, are they then non-vulnerable? Personally, I have no idea about it or how that works.

Craig
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-05-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Craig,

Well, the way I see it is...When you run the software in XP emulation mode, the software is now a straight XP system. Thus, the virus programs that are now able to corrupt XP can break your computer system. Of course, if no virus programs enter the computer , no harm.

I'm not a virus expert, but they can get in via internet sites or loaded software programs.

Seems that the only real solution is upgrade to a system that is supported by Microsoft\Apple.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

Yes, that would seem to be the safest route to take.

Craig

Comment

I wonder if one sets up a new directory directly under C:\ if that may work here. Make C:\DCP and install everything under DCP. That may create a shorter path and comply with the Windows 7 path rules. But, I am just making a guess here.

Craig

Comment

Would this help?

right click Mentor's desktop icon, select properties. click on the compatibility tab & try the various OS settings.
                        "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

The best way to run XP programs (and the safest method) on any newer systems, is with the help of virtual machine.
                          Personaly I use for such purposes VMware Workstation but this can be done also with the free VirtualBox which works like a charm.
                          It creates isolated environment what exactly means, whatever you do inside it can't harm the host computer.

And two cents about such Microsoft warnings.
                          I have been sure just after the magic date when support of XP ends, there any many news, vulnerabilities found, information about virus problems, etc. to make a preassure for people to buy a new system.
                          It is maybe not ethical but marketing seems to be a basic goal.
                          So in another words-don't take it too seriously but in case of doubds just use mentioned virtual machine solution.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the use of a virtual machine. I am unfailiar with that method. Like most folks, I too wonder how much of the XP/Explorer issues are marketing related or represent real threats to our systems.

?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X