Doug Carner's Review of Diamond Cut DCForensics10 Audio Laboratory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Carner's Review of Diamond Cut DCForensics10 Audio Laboratory

Here is an unsolicited review sent to us by Doug Carner, a well known Forensics Audio and Video analyst. He is sending this to multiple venues and it is reproduced here by permission of the author.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am passionate about digital forensics and my specialty, audio-video. While no solution can be a magic bullet, Diamond Cut's "Forensics" has earned respect as my go-to tool when I need to recover speech under the harshest conditions. Beyond its dozens of well thought out filters, my favorite feature is the multi-filter where I can create a custom filter chain, immediately test the results, and make any changes with a simple mouse movement. I can even save my custom presets and share them with my peers, or copy them to my client's case file.

Version 10 was just released and it significantly expands my forensic toolbox well beyond audio enhancement. For example, the new Subsonic Explorer analyzes the frequencies below audible levels to detect stop-start editing, and splicing from different recordings. In fact, all of the authentication tools are included without any extra charge. This is in addition to all the new filters, including one that can amplify whispers far above other volume levels.

My only complaints have been the program's steep learning curve and a rather dated interface. While the interface remains remnant of Windows XP, I would much rather have sheer performance over style, and can overlook this. Besides, this software isn't meant to be seen by my clients. With regards to the steep learning curve, I am a nerd and appreciate having the ability to tweak their hundreds of settings. However, this can easily overwhelm the new or occasional user. Version 10 resolves this with a new taskbar that automatically loads the correct filter and settings for the requested task. This, along with the clearly named presets means that even the most novice user can easily achieve great results without any fumbling or training. These improvements will increase your workflow efficiency and results. If you were ever put off by a prior version, version 10 is worthy of another 15-day free trial.

http://www.diamondcut.com/store/inde...products_id=39

Doug Carner, DABRE,CPP,CCFE,CHS
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-04-2016, 10:28 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Very nice!
    John

Comment

Working...
    X