Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What VU Meter Displacement Scale Should I use with Forensics Audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What VU Meter Displacement Scale Should I use with Forensics Audio?

The Diamond Cut VU meters are calibrated in dB, however the meter displacement can be set for a Linear or Logarithmic transfer function. Because of the narrow dynamic range of Forensics Audio, you should be using the Linear displacement option (Preferences Menu/General). The reason for this is signal resolution readability. If you use a Linear displacement (just like the old standard D'Arsonval mechanical VU meters) you get the best signal resolution readability. If you use the Log displacement option, the entire dynamic range will be limited to a very small vertical displacement making it very hard to discern small variations in the signal.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

double post

Comment

Why then not make "Linear" a preference on the General tab under Preferences, if that setting should be used with Forensics Audio?

Comment

Linear is a preference checkbox on the Edit/General preferences. Take a look; you will see it. It is called "Linear" under the VU Meter Choices.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X