Normalize Gain Scaling Random Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalize Gain Scaling Random Bug

About one in 30 times, when I perform Normalize Gain Scaling on a mono file (44.1/16bit) to -1.4 dB, it yields a result of a file that becomes -30 dB. Anyone else seen this?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

I note that re-launching the software fixes the problem (restores the Normalize Gain Scaling to the entered value).

Craig

Comment

Craig,

I have seen a similar thing and reported it in the past (on destination files).
      I can't make it happen "on command" though.

Marc

Comment

Marc,

I can not figure out the exact pattern that leads up to it. Sometimes, I will not see it happen for weeks at a time.

Craig

Comment

When it happened to me yesterday, it happened in Classic Edit Mode and in the source file.

Craig

Comment

Had the bug happen during a batch job. First, I ran a multifilter on a bunch of files. Then, I ran the normalize function with the same files selected from the previous batch job...i.e. I did not close the batch editor box, I just deselected the multifilter I had run.

When I ran the normalize function (0.0 dB), the files "zipped" alone and looked like they had been normalized, BUT, when I opened a file all that I saw was a straight line !

I could then apply the normalize function to the "straight line" file and had a "normal" look and sound ?

I re-started the program and the next time, I could run the batch editor and apply the multifilter and then normalize to 0.0 dB with no problem.

Marc

Comment

So, maybe you are saying that it could be tied into the previous use of the multifilter. Since I use the multifilter all the time, that could match my sequence too. But, I have not seen it happen in the batch editor yet. But, it is highly likely the exact same bug in the batch as when it is used as a standalone.

Craig

Comment

More clues...

I seem to have trouble with the normalize if its the second "thing" that I do in a batch job. I.E. the multifilter is used first, then the normalize function.
                Also, sometimes if I am normalizing in the destination window, the waveform will normalize to a much lesser value then the 0.0 dB . If I then redo the normalize, it will get closer to 0.0 dB, but still less than it should.

It seems that the software is getting an incorrect value for the raw waveform as far as it's maximum value before it then tries to normalize to what you want (I always use 0.0 dB).

Marc

Comment

Is the bug related to "gain normalize" or "normalized gain scaling" from what you can tell. I see it in "normalize gain scaling", but gain normalize is a slightly different algorithm.

Craig

Comment

I rarely use "gain normalize" but always use "normalize gain scaling" to a certain value, usually less than 0 dB.

Craig

Comment

Is there any updates ?

When I tried the normalize gain setting in Batch with a large number of files (334 items), I have trouble. For a smaller number, it seems to work always. I do not know just where the number of items causes a problem...just that 334 items seems to cause trouble.

Marc

Comment

I do remember the bug, but I think it involved normalized gain scaling. I recall seeing it myself and reporting it as a bug. I do not know if it was ever fixed. It may be one of those bugs that is hard to reproduce. Will look into it.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X