Remove Silence Feature - Lower Limit Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Silence Feature - Lower Limit Suggestion

The Remove Silence feature in DCForensics10 is great addition!!!!

I am restoring some CDRs (Not commercial CDs) which have imperfections. I have the only extant copy of this audio.

A lot of these imperfections show up as silence in the resulting file ripped with DC10. Most are extremely short, less than 1 second. But audible. And easily fixed once found.

DCForensics10 finds the longer ones instantly but the lower limit of 1 sec does not allow me to find the shorter, easily interpolated gaps. If we could set the lower limit as low as 1/100th of a second and then click Find Silence to mark teach one, restoring these recordings would progress much, much, much faster.

I have dozens of CDs and CDRs where the polycarbonate disc layer has minor imperfections (probably separating due to age) causing the resulting audio to not rip accurately and in some cases, not rip at all. This appears to be a common problem which will need addressing with restoration software such as DCForensics10 as CDs age.

Just like DAT Tapes, CDs Don't last forever.
    Dub: to mix (recorded sound or videotape from different sources) into a single recording

We can look into that. There is a tradeoff. The way that the program is written, it limits itself to 100 markers worth of silence because of the basic structure of the marker system. Higher numbers of silence can be removed but not marked. This seems to be ok with Forensics Surveillance Recordings, but not sure if it is ok with pitted CDs. Thoughts?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi again,

Can you send me a short sample of a ripped CD file having these dropouts so that we can study them? Send them to me at my private email at dctools@aol.com.

Thanks,

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X