Voice identification and comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice identification and comparison

I enjoy a lot of old music pulled from 78s, and have long been a fan of one blues guitar player from the 20s and early 30s. Recently, I've been learning banjo and came across an old-time banjo player who has the same name as the blues guitar player. They sound like different people to me, but most writings consider them to be the same person. Would it be difficult to use the voice ID aspect of DC 10 to determine whether they are, in fact, the same person? Their phrasing and just the sound of the voices are very different to me. It will be a bit of a learning curve for me, as I have no forensic training, but it seems like it might be a fun project.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Voice ID is a significant element of one of the training courses that we offer. While the DCForensics10 has the tools to perform a comparison, it take quite a bit of background and experience to make the comparison. I wish that there was an easier way. If you want to learn a little about it, read the section on Voice ID and Formants. That may help a little. Also, there are voices using keywords in the demo file area. Use those to try to learn the technique with the formants. Key is short segments of a sentence to be compared. I think that there are six or seven files there for that purpose.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-04-2017, 12:18 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig. Will poke around!

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

If you have any questions, call us and we will try to help. But, it is a complex topic, for sure. 973-316-9111.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig. It's just to satisfy my own curiosity, but I would like to be certain. Thanks for the offer. It might be a few months before I can get onto this. I'm retiring in May, and getting ready to sell the house, etc.

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Congratulations on your retirement!

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I have so many hobbies, I think I'll stay busier than I am now!
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Lol - know what you mean. I need to make a hobby out of shedding hobbies.

Craig

Comment

I am much busier now than I was when I had a 8-5 job.
                  Some day I will retire......

Marc

Comment

Marc,

It's funny how that works (no pun intended).

Craig

Comment

We are looking closely at Lewes, Delaware. It seems like a great place.

Dan
                      Dan McDonald

Comment

That is a nice place. When we stay in Cape May, NJ, we often take the Cape May-Lewis ferry across the bay to Lewis. From there, there are some interesting places to see - - - Lewis has a historical backdrop, as I recall. Enjoy.

Craig

Comment

Yes, some very old houses, with the first settlement there in 1632. Nothing left from that time, but a lot of 100+ year old homes. And a lot of kayaking, beach, outdoor activities.

Dan McDonald

Comment

There is a very old and historic church there along with a cemetery with grave markers that go way back in time. It's well kept and quite interesting.

Craig

Comment

Are there any old records around ? Edison ? Victor ?

Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X