45 rpm record distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: \"Distorted\" 45s

I think that the step that you are missing is the adjustment of the attenuation control for the best sound. So, after you take the noiseprint, you need to preview the file and adjust the attenuation until you are satisified and then run the filter.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

The only adjustment I make when using the Spectral Subtraction Mode is the attenuation. I find that a setting of 67 removes only hiss from the recording (at least that is the way it sounds in the "keep residue" mode).

While we're on the subject of 45's, it wasn't until I started using DC software that I found out how inferior a product they are. I was reading an article the other day that told about the record companies wanting to make their records really loud. It went on to say that the record companies were also trying to override the Auto Level circuitry on jukeboxes and made their records really "hot", so much so that they were distorted, even when fresh from the factory. It was also mentioned that certain labels such as Columbia, Epic and London used Styrene instead of vinyl for their 45's. Just a few plays on this inferior product damaged the groove. RCA (the inventor of the 45) and Capitol chose to be more quality minded and used mostly vinyl. If only the record companies had put as much quality control into their 45's as they did their albums, we would not be having as many problems with distortion, etc. and our restoration projects would be much easier.

Comment

Kent,

I agree with your assessment regarding the quality of 45 RPM records in general. The primary market for these recordings was kids who played them on very cheap record players with one-stage amplifiers, so quality was completely irrelevent. The verey high modulation level on most of these 45's allowed these one-tube wonders to actually work due to the high output signal from the cartridge. The cartridge usually drove the power pentode directly with no Voltage amplification stage in front.

The other application for 45's was Juke Boxes. Those machines were very Bass heavy and the Treble was severely attenuated (many of these Juke Boxes did not have tweeters). That also caused the 45 RPM distortion to be pleasingly muted but very low-fi.

Comment

Another alternative for reducing distortion on 45 rpm records is the use of the CNF (Normal Mode) but with the Artifact Suppression box checked. Then, set the attenuation for around 50 and the Artifacts control to around 600. Fine tune these controls for the optimal results. I recommend doing this after converting to Mono (L+ R).
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X