Juli@ card install problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juli@ card install problem

I just installed the Juli@ card and DC6 and I can't adjust the recond input. When I go to the ajdust audio properties/audio/sound recording volume all I get is the microphone and I can't add any others (line in, etc.). Is there something I missed?

Thanks,

Roland
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 09:56 AM.

Only thing that comes to mind is that you don't have line in audio turned on. Open your recording control panel, then go to options, then to properties. You should see several options there for input sources...the ones currently showing in your panel should be checked. All you have to do is check the input sources you want and close it. The sliders for the ones you just checked should now be visible.
    Danny Gilbert

Comment

The microphone is the only choice I get

I don't get a list, just the microphone. I can't add the line in because it isn't there to add.

I removed the Juli card and enabled the motherboard sound card and I get all of the recording devices as choices. I have contacted ESI and so far I've gotten one-liners from their support but no answers. It appears to be related to the ESI mixer. By the way are you running a Juli@?

Thanks,

Roland

Comment

you may need to set it up. Sometimes they come with only a few showing.

Go to Start, Program, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control (assuming that's what it's called on your computer), then options, then switch to recording, and make sure the little box for everything is checked. That's the simplest solution - if everything else is ok and it's just not showing up.
        Last edited by Dan McDonald; 04-23-2005, 12:27 PM.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Yeah, tried that

I've tried setting it up and when I get to the Recording step/Show the following volume controls all I see is the Microphone. I enabled the on-board sound card and it gives me ten choices (CD Audio, Wave, etc.) so I think it has something to do with the ESI Mixer.

Oh well, Roland

Comment

Maybe there is a bug in the shipping version of the soundcard drivers.

Did you try downloading the latest drivers for your soundcard from the ESI website? It is worth a try.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Tried the old drivers

Yes, I tried all three older drivers with no success. I need to talk with someone that has a Juli@ card as it appears that the Julapan is not controlling the card properly. Perhaps it's a problem with the sound card?

Roland

Comment

From what you are telling us, it does seem like a soundcard hardware failure. These things do occasionally occur.

This may be a little boring, but here is a little theory on hardware reliability -

Product failure rates generally follow something referred to as a Weibull Curve (sometimes referred to as the "bathtub curve). I will not get into the statistics associated with its calculation here, but suffice it to say that this curve is derived for any specific product by evaluating a certain universe of product specimens operated under time accelerating conditions like elevated temperature. Failure frequency ({1/MTBF} (Mean Time Between Failures)) is plotted on the vertical axis while time is represented on the horizontal axis. All products exhibit their highest failure rates at the beginning of their lives and at the end of their lives, (the left and right hand extremes of the curve with the left hand side representing early life) with a stable sector of the curve inbetween. The failures at the beginning of the curve are referred to in industry as "infant mortalities". That may be what you have experienced with this sound card.

So, out of all of this, here is my recommendation for new electronic product purchases ~

Something that I do with all new purchased electronic equipment is to leave them running 24 hours per day for about 3 weeks after purchase. This "weeds out" infant mortalities (the left hand side of the Weibull Curve) at a point in time when it is very easy to return the product for another one without any hassle.
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-25-2005, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I just spoke with Denise at Tracer and she thinks that the Julie@ soundcard does not have provisions to adjust the line level input. I would assume from my discussion that its gain may be "fixed".

Comment

I should have thought of that... the soundcard I use for transferring lps and tapes doesn't have a level control. There's a whole discussion on this topic and about using a pre-amp, etc. I must be getting senile..

RWK - I think you can find that post fairly easily if you look under preamp or 24-bit

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

Juli@ Console

According to the user manual that I downloaded from the ESI website in pdf format, it looks as if you should be able to adjust the input level from the Juli@ Console.

Quote from the manual:

Analog Input 1/2

This is where you can adjust the input monitoring level for the analog input 1/2. When you active ?MON? button of 1/2, the input monitoring level fader appears (displayed on the right picture). Now the analog input signal is routed to output 1,2 and you can monitor (listen to) the analog input signal in real-time. The monitoring level can be set using the mouse, mouse wheel, or cursor keys.
                      Last edited by TimG; 04-25-2005, 03:37 PM.
                      "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                        I just spoke with Denise at Tracer and she thinks that the Julie@ soundcard does not have provisions to adjust the line level input. I would assume from my discussion that its gain may be "fixed".
                        My Juli@ failed bogging down my system when it did so, and I've removed it and not used it recently or gotten 'round to notifying Tracer. But as I recall, Denise is at least half right. As I remember, you could adjust the analog input, but not the digital input. Also, it initially took about three reboots to get the control software to appear in the system tray on my P3 computer and thereafter it sometimes failed to appear when I booted my computer. It was also a bit fussy when I selected it within an application.

It's not the only sound card that's given me some difficulty on this machine. I have another one which I use for its ADAT light pipe for multitrack recordings. It interferes with hibernation mode and, for that reason, I keep it disabled when I'm not using it.

I had hoped to be able to use Juli@ as my main sound card in place of the OEM Creative product, but it doesn't seem to have access to my CD player's audio.

In summary, I suspect the Juli@ drivers may be very hardware sensitive and that it's entirely possible that his particular unit may be defective. Mine didn't last that long.

HB

Comment

If you purchased it from Tracer, and it is defective, I believe that they will probably replace it so long as it is not extremely old. Have you called them about the problem?

Comment

Help related to setting PreAmp

I also have Juli@ installed in my Machine.
                            I ran 16-44-sine-wave-1-khz-minus-5-db-10-seconds.wav test tone via SOny CD player
                            and given the Linein the output from CD player.
                            The input reading is showing -7 db in the Vu meter.

There is no option for me to adjust the input volume level.
                            Can anybody help of I can go about, do I need to Use Stereo Preamp, Which one You suggest ?

Comment

Working...
                            X