No announcement yet.

Low input levels with my CTP1000 and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low input levels with my CTP1000 and...

I'm using a Denon 37F/Shure VN35HE feeding the CTP1000 (with a new 9V battery)/Juli@ and my record levels usually stay below the -20db that the users manual for the CTP1000 recommends. Is there something I can do to get a better output from the Denon? There is no line in level adjustment with the Juli@ and I verified this with the Tracer folks.

P.S. I've tried another turntable (Sony SL-33/Stanton PRO-4000 cartridge) and the record levels do go above -20db. Guess I should just use the Sony.

Thanks,

Roland

There was a pretty good discussion about this a couple of months ago - about using preamps to up the levels, versus just gain normalizing after recording. If you're going with 24-bit, there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to increasing the levels, but I've started using my preamp to do that.

The thread was titled Waveterminal something or other. Search for Waveterminal and you should get it.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan McDonald; 05-06-2005, 07:19 AM.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

I think that with 24 bit resolution recording that it is really not a practical problem in that you have 144 dB of dynamic range to work with. If you loose 20 or 30 dB you are still way beyond what any audio system will be able to reproduce. Also, records only have a dynamic range of around 50 to 60 dB, so you should be in good shape with the Julie@ and your Denon and Shure.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Preamp Gain Questions

Craig,

I've been following the discusions on the CTP1000 preamp and think that this thread is the place to ask a question :

If there is no gain control on the CTP preamp, did you assume that the sound card would be the "volume control"?

Also, was the design concept to have the gain of the preamp high enough to be able to saturate the sound card at the maximum gain setting of the sound card line in level ?

Regards,
        Marc

Comment

With normal magnetic phono cartridges, the CTP-1000 in not capable of overloading a standard line level input. Its gain is not high enough to do that.

Comment

Craig,

As a follow up, then your concept was to use the volume control on the sound card ?

Regards,
            Marc

Comment

The idea is that the flat magnetic phono preamplifier was to be used in conjunction with any of the following:

1. A Soundcard with a gain control

2. A line level control center preamplifier between the CTP and the soundcard, using the main output as the input to the soundcard (thus providing a variable gain).

3. Using a 24 bit soundcard which has 144 dB of dynamic range such that there really is no practical issue.

I guess you could also use a combination of the ideas above.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X