Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding max amplitude of recording

Hi

After recording I would like to know the max amplitude in my recording to determine if it's ok. I mean:

0db => possible clipping => redo
    -x db up to 0db => good
    less than -x db => to low => redo

I record from LP's using 24bit so I should have some headroom for gain normalize. What is a resonable value for max x and how do I find the value of current max and where in the recording it occurs ?

Thanks
    Claus
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM.

I use the time display to determine if clipping had occurred. If the signal ever hits full scale on the display, then clipping has occurred. Also, when clipping does occur, often it will give the signal a "crew cut" appearance in the time domain display.

Of course, you could just play the recorded piece while observing the VU meters as an alternative method. Or, process the entire file with something like the graphic EQ with all of the frequency bands set to the middle position and watch for the overload LED to light.

Also, you could highlight any area of suspicion and play just that section while looking at the playback VU meter/clip led.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-18-2006, 10:21 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Another bit 'o info.... I was talking to Curtis from Tracer the other day about something and asked him about distortion in a file and he responded that sometimes you can have a perfectly good looking file fully zoomed out, but when you zoom in, you can find the wave clipped in places where it might be distorting. Digital food for thought.

Drew

Comment

Suggestions

Originally posted by Craig Maier
        I use the time display to determine if clipping had occurred. If the signal ever hits full scale on the display, then clipping has occurred. Also, when clipping does occur, often it will give the signal a "crew cut" appearance in the time domain display.

Of course, you could just play the recorded piece while observing the VU meters as an alternative method. Or, process the entire file with something like the graphic EQ with all of the frequency bands set to the middle position and watch for the overload LED to light.
        I see but my point was that I would like to record unattended and immediately be able to see if my maxlevel is acceptable. It would be nice if the record VU had a recording-liftime sticky marker where I could see the maximum level occuring through the recording. The overload LED could also change color if it has been red though the recording. Maybe a manual reset would be appropriate also (to e.g reset the needle down click overload). Just my $0.02.

Regards
        Claus

Comment

Like the play-VU

What I want is really like the replay VU that have the green peak indicator. It would however be nice to be able to do a fast recalc of the the peak on the selection without having to play it in real time.

Claus

Comment

We'll put it on the todo list for DC7. Thanks
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X