Strange buzz with burned CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange buzz with burned CD

Got a good one for you Craig. I've been restoring some monophonic AM recordings on stereo cassettes. Being limited fidelity, I have been using 16 bit / 44.1 kHz when transfered to DC-6. My first step was to convert the stereo cassette tracks to a single monophonic digital track. The restorations went OK considering the source material. After the enhancements, I used the File Conversion's Mono to Stereo Simulator 2 - time offset of 10 (ms?). I then used the appropiate Left & Right Stereo Simulator Comb Filters in the Paragraphic EQ. The sound was quite good and very listenable as a WAV file. But when I burned it to a CD, there was a noticable buzzing sound in playback, not just on the computer but also in another player. Going up close to each of the speakers seperately, the buzz disapeared. (???) It sounds like some kind of adverse interaction between the left & right channels. Any way I can correct or eliminate this strange problem?

If the buzzing was not heard when you played the .wav file, I can not imagine what it could be when you burned the CD. I have never experienced that one here.

Maybe it is some strange sort of aliasing artifact that is only heard when you burn the CD??? If that is the case, try running the Low Pass Filter set for around 10 KHz and 12 dB/Octave with a Butterworth response on the final .wav and then try to re-burn it. That filter setting should have no adverse effect on an AM radio broadcast recording (which is limited to 10 KHz max theoretical on its top end).

Let us know if that helps.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
    X