More Dolby input questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Dolby input questions

A friend has given me his old cassette deck ( although 8 yr old, it's much better than mine ) on the promise that I will restore some cassette tapes for him.

The tapes were recorded on this deck, which has Dobly B and C.

I am trying to work out if the tapes were recorded in Dolby B or C - my friend can't remember.

1. Playback without Dobly - very loud hiss
    2. Playback with B - slight hiss
    3. Playback with C - almost no hiss.

If I playback the tape on other equipment there is some hiss, although not as loud as 1. above. I have read that Dobly B gave much better playback than C on non Dolby equipment, so these tapes could be Dolby B. ( I wonder if a Dobly B tape would actually sound better if played back via Dobly C? )

Assuming that I correct in my assumption that the tapes are Dolby B, what setting have people got the best results with, when tranferring to PC - Dobly B or Dolby off. Or maybe even C ???

Is there a definitive answer, or is it "sniff it and see" - variable by tape and noise level?

I read the Dolby threads, and tried no Dolby, and B, for a comparision. The Dobly B seemed to give a cleaner result although occasionally there seems to be very slight distortion in spoken vocals, but maybe I've not got the settings right yet ...

Any help is welcomed !!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM.

My best results are obtained with ALL noise reduction turned off & as much tape hiss as possible removed with CNF or EZClean without introducing artifacts.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Lord Theo has a good approach for Dolby B tapes. I have never tried that with a Dolby C type.

But if you want to know if your tapes are Dolby B or Dolby C, it will be kind of obvious when you perform the following test. If you play a Dolby C tape on a tape deck with all Dolby Noise Reduction turned off, it will sound quite shrill and will also produce a high frequency "pumping" sound. It will sound almost unlistenable. If you play a Dolby B tape on a tape deck with all Dolby Noise Reduction turned off, it will just sound bright and a little hissy and still be listenable.
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-24-2006, 10:17 AM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

So, Dobly B they are, and record with no noise reduction.

My thanks, Lord Theo and Craig

Comment

Working...
        X