Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "Electronically Enhanced Stereo"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Electronically Enhanced Stereo"?

Craig [or any other]:

What was the process used long ago on mono recordings referred to "Electronically Enhanced Stereo"? Can DC6 simulate this same process with its current features?

- Phillip

I believe that "Electronically Enhanced Stereo" is the same thing as "Stereo Simulation" (sometimes unfondly referred to as "Fake Stereo" by purists). The stereo simulation process involves up to several elements:

1. Delaying one channel with respect to the other with various remix ratios.

2. Breaking the audio spectrum up into multiple and alternating frequency bins. Even number bins would be applied to one channel while Odd number bis would be applied to the other.

This can be done with DC6. To obtain item number 1, use the Reverb Effect, Time Offset feature in the File converter, or the Echo Effect. To obtain item number 2, there are presets under the Paragraphic EQ called Stereo Simulator xxxx Left and Stereo Simulator xxxx Right.

Using a combination of methods number 1 and 2 will give you a stronger simulated stereo effect. Perhaps the best way to do it is to set up the appropriate filters in the Multifilter so that your stereo simulations can be performed in one single operation.

keywords: delay lines, frequency bucketing, stereo ambience
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-21-2006, 09:10 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
      I believe that "Electronically Enhanced Stereo" is the same thing as "Stereo Simulation" (sometimes unfondly referred to as "Fake Stereo" by purists).
      Yup. I was one of those. There were tons of them in the late 50s and early 60s and most of them were terrible. Decca made the worst. But one year my Mom gave me a wonderful big band compendium produced by RCA for Readers Digest and the effect was quite pleasing and subtle. I think it's mostly your method (2). There doesn't seem to be any added reverb. The Deccas seemed to be all reverb.

I believe they were also sometimes promoted as "rechanneled stereo."

HB

Comment

Working...
      X