set memory buffers dc6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set memory buffers dc6

If I set to 50,next time I load dc6 it goes back to say 18.
    Can it be set fixed ?
    Chris

I think that you may be setting it way past its practical limit. These buffers are designed to help slower computers maintain real time while previewing a filter (or a set of filters as in the Multifilter). The symptom of two few buffers would be "stuttering" during preview. Typically, the buffers should be set to around 5. The most that I have ever seen required is 10. The tradeoff with using high buffer values is a latency time after you click the preview button. This latency period is the time it takes to load up the buffers.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

explain why so many buffers

I use all the buffers in multi filter live mode,so when I
      press the ALT key I get a looping of the sound in the
      buffers of several seconds.
      Reason for doing this is to get a repeat of the last few
      seconds :eg. in ham radio,getting a difficult report repeating several times using DC6 in this way.
      This works perfectly for what I want,except I have to
      reset the buffer number each time I load the program.
      It does'nt matter if I can't set it..just thought I'd ask.
      Chris W.

Comment

Hmmm - - - sounds like maybe it is a bug then. That is an interesting application.

I do not know if you are using DC6 or Live6/Forensics. If it is Live6/Forensics, you should consider using the "Flashback" feature which can repeat up to 5 minutes worth of historical audio. This feature is used a lot by special ops guys in real time field surveilance situations. It is being used in Iraq and Afghanistan right now.

In other words, someone hears on a communications system that UBL is in, say Cave 11, Ravine 23, and Mountain 8. They want to make sure that they bomb the hell out of the right place. So, they use the "Flashback" feature to do that. It also keeps a history on the hard drive of both the dirty and cleaned up audio so that they can "CYA".
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-26-2006, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Sorry - - - just read your post again. I see that you are using DC6.

Comment

It does a great job of filtering and looping.Also I've rigged
            the left mouse button when in the m/f window to do same.
            So I can work it remote from the computer.
            Forensics is bit out of my pocket.Thanks for coming back.
            (Last point ,I have direct x ticked to do the looping.)
            Chris.

Comment

Quoting Chris:

"- - - so when I press the ALT key I get a looping of the sound in the buffers of several seconds".

--------------------------------

Chris,

I just got off the phone with Rick. We did not even realize that the ALT key did that! So, you discovered a feature that we did not even know existed. I wonder if it should be advertised? I guess one could call it an accidental feature.

At any rate, the system should be able to recall whatever buffer size entered up to 50, so it does look like a bug. I will enter it into our bug listing. Why it stops at 18 is unclear.

Maybe it is a Jewish thing - - - 18 being a mystical Jewish magic number! Jewish charity is usually given in multiples of 18.

keywords: Instant Replay, Live Replay, Instant Repeat, Live Repeat, Short Flashback Mode
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-26-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Cheers Craig.
                Chris.

Comment

Chris,

I just posted this a a bug on our bug list. Could you please explain a little more about how to use this feature? Also, and just out of curiosity, how did you discover it? Others may find it useful too.

Craig
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-24-2006, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Alt key

I've known about holding the left mouse down in the m/f
                    window but wanted to free up the hand.So started punching keys and found the ALT did it with single hit to loop and another to go back to thru.I thought it might be
                    peculiarity of my keyboard.
                    So,just to re-cap...I'm in live m/f with buffers set max..
                    Without any filters it's just become a looper when ALT is
                    hit or when left mouse held down.Of course you can add
                    all filters you want as usual.In 22000 sample gives quite a
                    few seconds.
                    I would like to set the sample rate custom to 32000,but
                    when I hit live preview it refuses and goes to 48000.I
                    posted this elsewhere as a question.
                    Comp. 3gig p4....s/c m audio ..capable of 24b 96.000.
                    Thanks for your help and interest...Chris.

Comment

Working...
                    X