Scuffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuffs

I'm re-working a restoration that I first peformed using DCArt 32 and after using Craig's cleaning solution, I decided to re-do the entire restoration from scratch using DC6.

The LP in question is very well used and it is NOT a "historic" recording in the least. I could easily obtain a re-mastered CD version of it, but I am mainly using it as an exercise to increase my expertise with the Diamond Cut product. Also, the LP has a noticeable imperfection in the vinyl itself; kind of like a very small crater in the vinyl where it didn't quite flow into the master properly.

Be that as it may, what I am experiencing is what I can describe best as a "scuffing" sound, that is a quite long event... longer than most even loud pops. Duration wise, I'm guessing it to last maybe .5 seconds and it does this on the particular part of the album approximately 5 or 6 times, then fades.

What tool or filter would be the best to tackle this? So far in experimenting with it, I've been treating it like an impulse event, but since it so long in duration, I don't know if I should or not. What makes matters worse, it happens on a fairly quiet section and what ever I try seems to mask the music as well; and not completely eliminating the "scuffs". Any ideas?

Like I said, this is far from an urgent concern. I'm just using this album as a tool to further my education. If it cannot be fixed, it's no big deal. I'm just trying with this LP in hopes that I have a "starting point" with LP's that are of historic value.

GB..
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM.

The way that I deal with scuffs is via selective filtering using the Low Pass Filter. I do the following:

1. Clone the File using Classic Edit mode

2. Bring up the Low Pass Filter and set it for 6 dB / Octave

3. Set the Frequency for around 4 KHz

4. Highlight the first scuff area with the mouse and / or markers.

5. Preview that scuffed section and fine tune the Low Pass Filter for the best reduction of the noise.

6. After I am satisfied, I then run the filter on that section which will then be applied to the cloned file in the destination display.

7. Then, I move on to the next scuff and repeat the process until done.

Note: Sometimes, on real bad scuffs, I use the Bandpass filter with the low frequency set for around 150 Hz and the high frequency set as stated above.

keywords: scuff noise reduction, scuffing noise, whoosh noise reduction, whooshing, wooshing, swooshing, schwooshing
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks for the info Craig. I'll play with it and let you know what kind of luck I had with it.

GB..

Comment

Another quick note:

When I am really being compulsive or producing a commercial release, I will use the Filter Sweeper before and after the onset of the Low Pass Filter. The reason for that is to provide a smooth transition in bandwidth rather than a step - function. It is more natural sounding that way. But, it adds two step to each scuff.

Comment

At this point Craig, I'm not too concerned about "steps". I just want to get a handle on what the product will do, which I have put off far too long. After the knowledge comes, then comes the part where I can worry about speeding up the processes.

I've learned more about the product in 2 weeks than I have since I've had DC6; and I got it right after it was introduced.

In the past, I was too concerned about the speed of the project, not the quality; but after re-doing countless projects, it is far better to do it once properly, than doing a so-so job and then have to revisit these restorations.

GB

Comment

Reminds me of the olde addage:

There is always enough time to do it over, but never enough time to do it right to start with.

Comment

That's how the low bid gets the job!

Comment

And why you should always throw out the low bid.

Comment

update: scuffs

Hi Craig:

I just wanted to let you know that I played and cleaned the LP with scuffs again (see record cleaning thread), and the 'scuffing' sound was dramatically reduced.

I guess that LP was much dirtier than I imagined and there was still plenty of crud on the record. Most of the scuffing sounds are greatly reduced this time around.

I got the scuffing sounds pretty much all but eliminated using DC6 and that is playing the wave file through studio headphones. So, on a conventional stereo it should sound great.

I probably will still get the remastered version of the CD, because I have heard good things about it (BTW; It was Rush's "Caress of Steel" not to be confused with Mahogany Rush ) BUT, this LP was a very good exercise for me.

Thanks for your help.

GB.

Comment

Working...
                  X