Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining L&R

Here's the scenario:

Working on the Larry Coryell tape I described in a different post. Recorded with two different quality mics - one pretty good, the other one pretty mediocre. You don't notice the difference much if you play them as stereo. One side just seems more bassy than they other. But here's the problem:
    On the good channel, there are about 4-5 short (3-4 second) dropouts. It sounds like the mic cord was going bad. Nothing at all for 3-4 seconds in that channel. Occasionally during the dropout, there's about half a second of full-volume sound coming through, then it goes back out for the rest of that dropout section.

This only happens a few times, as I mentioned. Maybe 5 times.

I'd like to integrate the poorer channel into the dropouts during that dropout. If I simply do "l+R" for the whole file, it's probably passable except for two problems:
    I get a noticeable dropoff in sound during the original droput point. It's just not quite as loud.
    The second problem is that there are slight clicks where the sound cuts out and in (beginning & end of the droputs) and they are audible in the l+r version.

My solution is to fade in and out for the droputs, then boost the levels inthe track at the 3-4 second spots corresponding to the dropouts, so that a l+R mix doesn't get the clicks and there's less noticeable volume difference. It will still sound bassier, though, for those few seconds (because the filler is the poorer-quality channel).

Any other ideas about how to do this better?

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM.
    Dan McDonald

I am thinking that I would try one of these solutions.

1. Where the dropout exists, I would copy Left and Paste Right using the L and R Buttons. There will still be a change in fidelity where this is done but it may be better than a channel dropout

2. Maybe another way is to do some selective filtering in a two step affair. First, clone the file. Then, use the channel blender on the dropouts. Then, make the destination the source. Then selectively use the filter sweeper in the places where the channel dropped out to make it sound more like smooth transition.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig.

I'll try these.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
      X