DC6 Wows in Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geebster

Don't be so sensitive. My post was to show the humor of it (as portrayed in the movie). I actually like some rap, but like anything else, only in moderation. It's too bad that for so many youth, that's all they listen to, so to them, that's music and nothing else counts (just like to many, everything else is music, but rap doesn't count). Put music programs back in our schools and we can fix that problem. But to each his/her own, I guess.

I like listening to DCTalk, but a lot of what they do is very melodic, with rap interspersed. I just can't listen to 4 sampled bars over and over and over and over and over (are you bored with the "overs" yet - then you get the idea) while the rapper tells some story over it. To me, we're now moving more into poetry rather than music. And that's okay. But hey, that's just my opinion. On the dance floor, however, I can stomp roaches to just about anything.

I find it interesting, how in interviews with rappers, they always talk about "their music". The irony is that the "music" part of it is often a sampled version of someone else's music behind "their" lyrics.

What I can't abide with is gangsta rap - women, police officers, and people in general deserve better than that kind of attitude. I'm okay with singing/rapping/telling/reading stories about bad things that happen to people (be they women/men/police/etc), but encouraging the behavior is going in the wrong direction.

Craig - yep, sus4chord is for a suspended 4th. I love the sound of the sus chord played and then resolved. At church, I tell people my favorite chord is the Gsus chord.

Peace.
    John

Comment

Quoting GB:

"Why do you dislike it so much?"

-----------------------------------------------------

I do not like it because I do not like the way that it sounds.

Craig

GB - Do not take this personally. It is just one guys opinion - - - mine, and that means absolutely nothing. I think that we are all allowed that privilege, right?

and -

sus4chord - Do you think that any "Rap Artists" know what a suspended 4th is? I think that the question needs no specific answer as it is quite obvious.
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-03-2006, 02:27 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

A list..

Oh heavens guys... my name isn't MC GB or Slim Shady GB or anything, so I'm not taking it personally!! I just thought I had to stand up for my Hip Hop friends out there.

Anyway, for any of you not "into" RAP and want an introduction, here are some examples of good RAP tunes. For those of you into RAP this is old news to you. These are mainly old school RAP songs.

BTW. I'm talking musically here, not lyrically. I'm sure at least some of the lyrical content with most of these songs will offend someone!!!! Ranked in no particular order.

1. Tone Loc...On Fire
        2. Young MC...Bust A Move
        3. Vanilla Ice...Ice Ice Baby (this is NOT a misprint!!)
        4. Tupac w/Dr. Dre...California Love
        5. Dr. Dre... Nuthin' But a G Thang
        6. 2 Live Crew... Me So...
        7. Snoop Doggy Dogg... Gin and Juice
        8. Beastie Boys... No Sleep Til Brooklyn
        9. Grandmaster Flash... The Message
        10. Coolio...Sumpin New

GB

Addendum: I forgot perhaps one of my favorite RAP tunes off this list; This artist was a flash in the pan, but was great when he was around:

MC 900 FT. Jesus... If I only had a Brain
        Last edited by ; 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
          I am going to have to take a photo of our record collection and keep it at hand (maybe in my wallet). However, it is only around 16 feet long, but that should still work!
          Craig -- Come on now, you don't even need Photoshop to fix this one! There are any number of image processing programs available on the web. Think how impressed your friends will be when you show them a line of LPs running out the front door and down the street!

I personally can't stand Rap (or even the reputedly more musical Hip Hop), but my 14 year old son likes it. I do make a point of at least reading through the lyrics of the songs to the CDs he wants to buy -- I really should be getting Combat pay for that -- but if it's not violent or otherwise obscene (a test that eliminates quite a few) he can get it.

Comment

Quoting Cromag:

"I do make a point of at least reading through the lyrics of the songs - - - "

------------------------------------------------------

You have my sincerest of condolences, but there's no combat pay to go with it.

Oh my, what a surprise; I just wrote the first line to a rap song.
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM.

Comment

You have my sincerest of condolences, but there's no combat pay to go with it.

Oh my, what a surprise; I just wrote the first line to a rap song.
              It's OK, but it ain't no "Gin and Juice" !!!

GB

Comment

Awww shucks! And I was hoping to launch myself into a new career.

Maybe I should have screwed up the English like this:

You have my sincerest of condolences, but there ain't no combat pay to go with it.

Nothing like a little double negative coupled with an illegal contraction to spruce up a Rap song, right? So, do I get a second chance?

Yeah, I know. I need some swearing, death, destruction and mayhem in there too. I will work on it. Remember, this is my first day on my new job.
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should have screwed up the English like this:

You have my sincerest of condolences, but there ain't no combat pay to go with it.

Yeah, I know. I need some swearing, death, destruction and mayhem in there too. I will work on it. Remember, this is my first day on my new job.
                  That's a start. It really helps to get radio airplay if there are a lotta "bleeps" in the song.

I'll never forget when I first heard the 'clean' version of 2 Live Crew's "Me So..."

The whole chorus was (after they cleaned it up):

"Me So (Bleep), Me So (Bleep), Me So (Bleep) ... Me luv U long time!"

I never laughed so hard in all my life!

Does that give you some inspiration?

GB...

Comment

Now, you've got me all verklempt! (choked up). And, I am all 'perspired' by your encouragement, so - - -

---------------------------------
                    Rap Crap Song

by

Ruff Hoppie - Hip, Tie Die You

You have my sincerest of (bleepin') condolences, but there ain't no (bleepin') combat pay to go with it...

Gettin' the knack of this (bleepin') rap stuff now; but still need a rough name like Puff in it...

Gotta shoot the (bleepin') guy what wrote all of dis, but nobody I aksed wants to clean up the (bleepin') mess...

----------------------------------

That was the main lyric line, now here is the music to go wit it:

boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom...

----------------------------------

It kinda brings a tear to your eyes, right?
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-05-2006, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Looks like a Classic to me!!!!

GB

Comment

GB -

I ran a Rap Record through Diamond Cut to remove all the noise last night. It worked perfectly. It left behind only silence.

Comment

HA HA HA That is so funny....

Maybe you could have used some selective filtering to leave some clicks and pops and the stylus noise as the DJ was "scratching" the record.

Now that would definitely be a hit!

GB

Comment

Come to think about it, the most musically interesting aspect of my rap record was the clicks and pops and the stylus noise that it had.

Comment

Craig,

Speaking of Rap records and such, I wanted to make a compilation CD for the car last night and with all of our talk about Rap recordings; naturally I thought I would make a Rap compilation.

Since I never know who I will be riding in the car with with me, I thought I had better do some language "cleaning" with DC6. It worked great.

I first tried using the bleep tone, but that wasn't too satisfying, so I ended up just carefully cutting the objectionable words out of the file before transferring to CD.

It's still so humorous to critically listen to the edited files, but it works fine in the car or for casual listening.

GB

Yes.... I know, who in their right mind would "critically" listen to Rap anyway?

Comment

GB -

I am going to make a Rap compilation too. I am just going to take the one rap song that I own and repeat it 21 times since they all sound the same to me anyway.

Craig

btw - if you want to make the bleep tones more interesting, goto the make waves generator. Make a 1 KHz Stereophonic Sine Wave file (or any other frequency and/or waveshape that you like) of around 10 seconds long. Copy that file to the clipboard. Then, used the Edit / "Paste Over" where you need to. It will not paste the entire 10 seconds, but only the highlighted sector of the target wavefile.

I took my own Rap record and "Pasted Over" the entire file with a 1000 Hz tone. It became infinitely more musically interesting. It had a nice simple beat and some tonality.
                                Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X