Looking for breaks in the recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for breaks in the recording

Sorry for the stupid subject of this post but I have no clue how to call it in the simple word.
    English is not my native language and I have no clue also, which words should be used in the search form as probably such problem has been discussed here before.
    So to make things clear I describe the situation.

I have a recorded voice on the audio CD taken from the mobile phone. I'd like to know a method how it can be checked if somebody didn't cut the recording (and didn't make any editing) and this recording is original.
    I have tried to listening to this recording carefully but I haven't found any noticable breaks, changing the level of the recording, etc.
    So maybe such looking for any modification of the recording can be done in the more "intelligent" way with my Diamond Cut Six?

Thanx for any suggestions

If you have the version with the spectrogram you can use that and see physical breaks sometimes, but if it's on an audio cd then chances are it has been edited at least at the beginning and end.

The other way is by zooming in at about a moderate level and you might find breaks in the wav file, but if they were good editors and the background remains at a constant noise level, it's going to be difficult.

If the background noise changes a bit, then you will have a much easier time finding edits because the background shifts can become very obvious as you listen to them.

That's about all I can tell you. Maybe someone else has better thoughts on it.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Great thanx Dan for this answer and for all these information which are really valuable.
      They definitely help to find what I am looking for.
      Anyway I am stiil looking for something more "automatical"

Comment

Hi,

I know you said you are looking for something more automatic. The training for this software was very good. Jim and Curtis both related the material so well that it was like having a one on one session.

Plus the class was attached to a computer store which is like a kid in a candy store.

Comment

Quoting ric29:

"Anyway I am stiil looking for something more "automatical""

--------------------------------------------------

I understand that a competitor claims to have something that automatically detects these pauses. However, I have it on good authority that it not only costs over $15,000.00 for the software program, but it also gives lots of false positives rendering it basically useless.

That information comes to me via a very well known Forensics audio expert who is also a user of both Diamond Cut Forensics and the competitors program.

The time synchronized spectrogram coupled with some experienced judgement is probably the best way to go for this particular application.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-11-2006, 09:48 PM.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Automatic Microcassette Start / Stop Location Identifier

I do have a preset that I have created using the Forensics Multifilter which reliably identifies and marks start / stop breaks taken from microcassette recorder transfers.

If anyone is interested in that preset, please let me know and I will post it with instructions on how to use it.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Craig. I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.
              Happy Holiday's

Comment

I'd be interested in it too, for live music applications. I had one open-reel transfer of a famous folksinger's show from the early 1960s that had been completely rearranged. When I went back and put it in the right order, all the 'between-songs' banter made a lot more sense. Sometimes you get these things where, for one reason or another, someone has jumbled the order. It's nice to put everything back as it was.
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

I do not know if it will work on reel-to-reel tape start / stop sequences. It was designed to work on microcassette ones.

I will post it a little later with instructions on how to use it; maybe it will work for you, who knows?

Comment

I just posted the Multifilter preset on the presets sharing portion of this forum at the following addy:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/sho...1215#post11215

I doubt that it will work on "high fidelity" recordings, only microcassettes.
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM.

Comment

OK - but I might be able to get an idea about how to do something like it with different recordings.

Thanks Craig,

Dan
                      Dan McDonald

Comment

Maybe, adjusting some of the filter setting downward in frequency would allow it to work on reel-to-reels. You would have to experiment. You might also have to change the threshold value in the Dynamics Processor.

Comment

The time synchronized spectrogram coupled with some experienced judgement is probably the best way to go for this particular application
                          Thanx very much Craig for this opinion
                          As I am now a Forensics version owner I gotta check all suggestions out.

BTW-is any english word (or term) which means the audio file hasn't been edited, cut, etc.?

Comment

I am not certain what the proper technical term is, but I would call them one of the following:

1. Unedited Original (Tape or wavefile)

2. Unedited Master (Tape or wavefile)

3. Unedited Source (Tape or wavefile)

Comment

OK, thanx very much

Comment

Working...
                              X