Forensics Version...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forensics Version...

This is to anyone out there that has the Forensics Version. Since there is a huge discount on the program through Christmas, I was wondering if it would be worth getting.

I do mainly LP restoration work, but sometimes the odd Reel-to-Reel or even radio transmissions on occasion.

The feature, I feel that I would use the most is the Spectogram which I have used on many instances in the demo version.

Any of you that care to give some input on the subject, PLEASE don't hesitate to speak up. Any input would be welcomed.

GB
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM.

Hey GB -

I think it's a huge discount. I have the forensics version and use a lot of things in it. The spectrogram is the most obvious one. I use it all the time. I'm not sure which things are in forensics that are not in DC6. On my forensics menu, I have the de-clipper, which I also use a lot because I work with tapes that people have over-modulated or even with cds that people have increased the gain on a bit too much and have distorted.

I've used every filter at least a few times. I began transferring old wire recordings about a year ago and have found a lot of the forensics filters were very good at helping with that. If the open-reels you transfer are voices, you'd probably find those helpful. If you mainly work with professionally produced tapes and lps, then maybe less so, since those things were supposed to have been done right from the beginning. I've also found some of the forensics filters useful on music, but it tends to be music that is of low quality to begin with, such as cylinders, tapes or whatever.

A Jefferson Airplane tape from 1969 that I have sounds like it was recorded in a garbage can, and I used the forensics filters to clean that up a bit. But, as they say, garbage in, garbage out. I think with really disastrous recordings, what you're trying to do is separate the garbage into true garbage and recyclables, and you work with the recyclables a bit to make it less offensive. Maybe that analogy doesn't work very well. Anyway, to answer your question, I use them all, but some a lot more than others.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan-

I thought you had the forensics version, but I wasn't positively sure. Thanks for the input and the examples you talked about; that helps a lot.

My take on it is like this... I think of all the products that Diamond Cut offer as audio TOOLS. You don't use the same tool every day, for every task, and it should be no differenet with audio. That's why I like having (if I get Forensics) all of the differing programs. One to do very basic jobs, another for moderate/more difficult restorations, and finally yet another for the restorations that are beyond the capability of the first two. I kind of think of 'Mentor' as being the audio tool equivilent of a hand saw, DC6 being more like a sabre saw and Forensics being a state of the art Table saw. Most home wood workers would have all three at their disposal and I'm leaning towards the fact that it should be the same with audio. Sure, I could get by with just Mentor and DC6, but I think those instances where I've reached the capability of those programs and have a 'one of a kind' recording, it would be nice to have the Forensics version too.

And since it has the look and feel of DC6, it wouldn't be like learning a completely new program.

Again, thanks for the information. I'm going to give my self a couple of days to think it through before I make my final decision.

GB

Comment

Hi there,
        It's certainly a tempting offer and I've been considering upgrading also. But having done so, aren't you also committing yourself to a significantly increased upgrade cost when Version 7 is released? Hopfully Craig can give us an idea of the difference in costs.

Thanks, Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Groot
          Hi there,
          It's certainly a tempting offer and I've been considering upgrading also. But having done so, aren't you also committing yourself to a significantly increased upgrade cost when Version 7 is released? Hopfully Craig can give us an idea of the difference in costs.

Thanks, Groot
          Yes.... That is my main reservation; the upgrade costs. I'm not too good about waiting for a good deal when there is an upgrade in the offing, so that is a major factor in my decision.

Now if I used Forensics in my line of work or something, then the value far off sets the costs because it is such a powerful program. And besides the spectogram and a couple other features, I won't tap into a small amount of it's power.

GB

Comment

DC7/Forensics is still quite a long way off; I do not know what the precise pricing will be for DC7/Forensics (since it will offer more features than DC6 Forensics, it could cost more than version 7), but we always have offered discounted upgrading.

I wish that I had more information to offer everyone, but that is all that I can say right now.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

We are now up to DCForensics10.5x. A fully functional demo version can be found at our website at www.diamondcut.com which runs for 15 days.
              "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
              X