No announcement yet.

Tape Restoration Bliss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dan and anyone else interested in reel to reel tape deck calibration procedures. I wrote up a generalized procedure and published it at the following link:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/sho...1340#post11340
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

Where exactly are these pre-sets? I looked on the Pre-set forum but couldn't find anything related to tape speeds.

Is there a files sections somewhere other than on the forums?

Thanks

Hi DJ!

Great to see you back here. I was wondering where you were.

Anyway, the paragraphic EQ top band is a shelving filter, unlike the others. As a result of that fact and the math and sampling theorem, I believe the the highest that you can put the shelf is around 11 KHz. It is just the math.

As for calibrating your tape deck, it has been my experience that each different brand and type of tape yields slightly different frequency response characteristics. So, if you calibrate, say with an Ampex tape, and then play a TDK or Maxell with the Ampex EQ, the results will not be exactly flat - - - but close.

As for that bump at the top end, that is not uncommon. It involves the wavelength of the signal coupled with the coloidal partical size used in the tape emulsion. But, it sounds like you compensated for it reasonably well.

ps - I think that your presets for different speeds is still number one on the hit parade on the presets sharing portion of the forum. Go check it out. I have not looked carefully in a few months, but this past summer, that was the case.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Roxie2401 - what presets are you referring to? I do not think that there were any related to tape speeds per se. Did I make reference to a set of presets that do not exist?
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

When I was browsing this thread, and the topic was "Tape Restoration Bliss", I saw you mention to DJ that his presets "for different speeds" was still number one......", I went looking for DJ's post of his presets.

Maybe I miss interpreted and they are for different turntable speeds - but I thought they were for tape restoration.

At any rate, can you point me to his preset files?

"ps - I think that your presets for different speeds is still number one on the hit parade on the presets sharing portion of the forum. Go check it out. I have not looked carefully in a few months, but this past summer, that was the case.[/quote]"

Originally posted by Craig Maier
          Roxie2401 - what presets are you referring to? I do not think that there were any related to tape speeds per se. Did I make reference to a set of presets that do not exist?

Comment

Working...
          X