WAV file called invalid by Roxio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAV file called invalid by Roxio.

I have one WAV file out of several that Roxio (Version 7) refuses to accept because it is an invalid format. I tried running it through the CD prep procerdure in both CD6 and Mentor. I also tried to get it accepted with running it through either.

I've updated everything I can find as far as software and firmware to get it accepted, but no luck, so far.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Tone Deaf
    I have one WAV file out of several that Roxio (Version 7) refuses to accept because it is an invalid format. I tried running it through the CD prep procerdure in both CD6 and Mentor. I also tried to get it accepted with running it through either.

I've updated everything I can find as far as software and firmware to get it accepted, but no luck, so far.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Are you sure that it is 16 bit? I had a problem one time and it turned out to be that.

I now use Nero for all my recording needs. My personal opinion was that Roxio got to out of control.

Comment

Why not just burn it with Mentor?
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Mentor was the second software I tried before I gave up and went to bed. Mentor did do betterr than Roxio. I tried twice (with a brand new Plextor PX-760A) and was able to get 84% of the job done before it locked up. I tried twice and it stopped at 84% both times.

Comment

click on properties of the wav file, just to be sure it's 16-bit and 44.1. If it is, then my guess is that the file is bad for one reason or another and should be re-recorded.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Most of the modern day CD creation packages today, Mentor included, do not care what format the .wav file is in before it is burned. As long as it is a valid .wav file, most packages should be able to handle it.

Since all of the packages refuse to work with the troublesome file, the file may be corrupt or even a wrong extension to the file. Even if the file itself is valid but has a wrong extension can cause some programs to halt, for example a MP3 file having a .wav extension.

Having more than one program refuse to work with the file is an important diagnostic tool in itself, meaning there is something going on with the file itself, rather than an issue with the burning packages themselves.

GB

Comment

All of the songs had .WAV behing every one of them. Properties showed:
              Bit Rate - 1411 KBS
              Sample Size: 16 Bit
              Channels: 2
              However, the last item showed Audio Format: PCM

I went down the list and deleted them one at a time, running the Make CD in Mentor. It stopped each time with the message:

Error: An unknown error has occurred writing the CD track:

As I kept deleting the files, the % of writing to CRD kept going down. With only one file, it listed 0%.

I substituted another file for the lone one to make sure it was not that one causing the trouble. It wasn't.

Comment

Is this bit rate " 1411" a typo? I thought CD's Required 44.1 16 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter
                  Is this bit rate " 1411" a typo? I thought CD's Required 44.1 16 bit.
                  That is a "normal" .wav file standard. See below part of the Red Book spec:

The Red Book specifies the physical parameters and properties of the CD, the optical "stylus" parameters, deviations and error rate, modulation system and error correction, and subcode channels and graphics.

It also specifies the form of digital audio encoding (2-channel signed 16-bit PCM sampled at 44100 Hz).

Bit rate = 44100 samples/s × 16 bit/sample × 2 channels = 1411.2 kbit/s (more than 10 MB per minute)

Sample values range from -32768 to +32767.

GB
                  Last edited by ; 12-15-2006, 12:59 PM.

Comment

what software created these files? I think they're corrupt.

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

The software I used was DC6. It worked last year when I made copies of the cassette tapes and made a CD of each entire tape. Now, this year, when I am trying to pull some of the separate songs off of the master files in the computer and put them in a different order, that I hit this stone wall.

Do you think that the problem might be further up the line? Maybe something has gone awry in the BIOS. I remember reading something about setting DNA (or similar initials) in the BIOS.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Comment

Like Dan said, it appears (for whatever reason) the file or files are corrupt. If you can write other data via your disc drives and software the problem probably wouldn't be your DMA (direct memory access ) settings. Usually, if a DMA setting or similar is amiss all burning attempts of any disc will fail.

GB

Comment

Hey Tone Deaf,
                          You stated you were pulling out individual songs from master recordings. Did you use the Quantize feature when you put markers in the master files to seperated them out? I'm just wondering if the lack of using that feature would cause such a problem. Just a thought.
                          Note: I'm using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and it will not allow music recordings of any bit/sample rates other than 16/44.1 even if the recording has the .wav extension. It will however allow recording them as Data files onto CD that can be directly played through DC6 from the burned CD without any problems.

Comment

I didn?t use the Quantize feature until I got them ready to go to the play list.

But now that I think about it, I may have quantized the whole file last year when I made copies of the entire file. However, having said that, the master did not look as if it had gone through the equalization process.

Comment

In trying to recall the history of how I got to the predicament that I am in now, I was given some old family cassettes of mostly group singing. There were no pauses or obvious breaks between the songs; they just ran the whole mess together. To accommodate the request of the donor, I got the hum out and did a little tweaking, and made a CD of the results (one continuous recording). They were happy and went away smiling.

There were some very good songs in the batch, so I had planned on pulling out the best ones, making CD?s of the results and giving them to the remaining family members for Christmas.

I went back through the copy of the originals still in my computer and very carefully found the starting and ending points of them. I copied each to its own file, did what I had to do to make them sound better and, later, used Roxio to put them in the order I wanted them and then make a master CD. It appeared that the CD ?took,? but when I played it there some songs that were chopped off and some that had joined together in the middle of each.

I went back in, reassembled the songs (they played well at that time) and tried to copy them again with Roxio. That?s when the computer would lock up at about 14% of the job done. According to the status report, it was at the ?Writing Index? portion. Most likely, it had finished writing the index and was trying to start recording the songs.

I then went back in the ?START? and removed most of my programs. The same results occurred.

Then I bought a new DVD/CD drive. A newer version of Roxio came with it, so I installed both. This time, when I tried to make the CD, I got two error messages:

?G: Plextor DVDR PX-760A (Power on reset or bus device reset occurred (06/29/99)?
                              and
                              ?G: Plextor DVDR PX-760A (Command sequence error- Illegal request (05/29/00)?

The help people at Roxio had me update and install every kind of hardware and software you can think of, but none of it worked. As of yet, they haven?t mentioned the possibility of a corrupt audio file.

Faced with that disaster, I tried to use Mentor. That didn?t work, either ? I guess I had screwed everything up too much by then.

The original tapes are no longer available and I gave all copies I made of it, thinking that I would have no problems running off more if I ever needed to.

OK ? I have given up on getting them for this Christmas and, therefore have 11 months to get this right for next Christmas.

Should I delete every thing except my file copies of the original tapes and start over? What about the quantizing thing? I?m sure the copy on file has been quantized. Maybe I should make a CD of the file copy and re-enter that to work from. OR ? how easy is it to fix the corrupt file?

I?m open to any suggestions you might give - including discussing the matter of corrupt file in a separate post.

Comment

Working...
                              X