Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some audio links...

Hey!
    I ran across a few links on the Internet dealing with audio I thought I'd pass along. The first link is to a short movie that concerns High End Audio and peoples obsession with it. You will need QuickTime to view it.

http://homepage.mac.com/savagebean/iMovieTheater11.html

Note: I have not seen this movie myself - dial up is too slow & I don't have QuickTime to view it.

I also had another link on a different post that I think I should include here for easy access. It concerns dirt cheap audio tweaks to improve your listening enjoyment. The site also has a free PDF download available for proper alignment of your phono cartridge.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...ile_tweaks.htm
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM.

Hi DJ -

Something is wrong with the second link, at least on my system. Check it out.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Yeah... it's a bad link. I think this is the link that DJ wanted...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...ile_tweaks.htm

GB

Comment

Thanks Geebster, I thought I copied the entire URL but ended up with an abbreviated copy.

Craig - I was kind of wondering about the validity of one of the tweaks - their use of a multimeter for resistance checks with changes of power cord polarity of audio equipment...

Was the movie any good? I may try and download it.

Comment

I do not like that tweek using a cheater plug. It represents a safety issue for the following reason.

Electronic equipment having a polarized plug is designed that way for a reason. The UL and CSA safety rules require the fusing and the power switching to be in the hot side of the circuit, not the neutral side. Performing that tweek could render the equipment being connected to the line backwards. If a fault occurs between the Neutral and Earth with the equipment plugged in upside down, the fuse can not blow! That is quite dangerous, to say the least!

Besides, properly designed audio equipment is designed to produce very little leakage current when connected properly. Besides, measuring resistance as recommended in the "tweek" does not accurately represent the hum injection into the system because the capacitive reactance from the line to the equipment chassis is much more dominant than its galvanic resistance.

In short, do not do perform that tweek!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier

In short, do not do perform that tweek!

I ditto that!!!!

GB

Comment

Craig, I thought you'd say something like that! But on the other hand, I've always wondered about measurable differences with audio equipment (which I have some myself - tape decks, processors, etc.) that do not have a factory polarized (let alone grounded) plug. But I've never worried too much about that. I've had much better luck (& less noise) with my systems just by making sure all of my equipment cases are strapped together - common ground. (I think that would make for a much better tweak!)

Comment

Yeah, a typical procedure for noise reduction in very large commercial RF systems is to connect all equipments together with 1 to 2 inch wide tin plated copper braided cable, the kind that you sometimes find on the negative terminal connection of your cars battery to the cars chassis. These grounding cables should be kept as short as possible. Also, a Star pattern rather than a Daisy Chain pattern is preferrable.

That approach works quite well.

Comment

Hey Craig,
                  After thinking about it for a while, it seems this grounding was the subject matter of a different post from you a few "eons" back... Oh well, it was a nice addition to this post anyway.

Also, I thought you'd like to know there is another preset at the exchange that is a very close "3rd place" to us. It is Doug's "78 Starting Point". He is less than 60 downloads behind me.

Comment

I have heard quite a few restorations from Doug that he has created based on that Starting Point preset, and he is getting excellent results, IMHO. So, I think that it is a very useful preset for people to consider having on their system.

Comment

Working...
                    X