New "Before and Afters"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Before and Afters"

There are two new "Before and After" examples posted on the Diamond Cut site. One was submitted by DJ, which is really interesting in that the album would be projected to have had a million ticks on it, thus its title, "Mega-Tick Vinyl LP".

The other is a live recording of my high school class play with some major electronic difficulties on a small portion of the recording. It is Brigadoon performed by the Cranford High School class of 1967.

Here is the link to these:

http://www.diamondcut.com/BeforeAfter/usersamps.htm
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Originally posted by Craig Maier
    There are two new "Before and After" examples posted
    Reminds me of the cool Smithereens song off of "11" ... "Blues Before and After" !!!!

Anyway, good job on both examples....

GB

Comment

Craig, I was unable to download your samples. Wouldn't even let me download Dougs smaller samples. A block would pop up saying "Access Denied". The problem is at my end. Something about the settings on my Temporary Files, so I'll have to dig into this thing & make some adjustments. (Dog gone Windows98 anyway!) It would have been nice if downloads had allowed me to direct the samples to a file in my Documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
        ...The other is a live recording of my high school class play...
        Good job both with the original recording setup and with the restoration. And a nice performance for a high school production. Makes me want to dig out the LP one of my high schools made of a production of HMS Pinafore. I don't remember its being that good.

HB

Comment

Originally posted by DJBohn
          It would have been nice if downloads had allowed me to direct the samples to a file in my Documents.
          DJ, do you use a download manager? I have used Truedownloader and Flashget (both freeware) on my XP machine. They both worked well, but Flashget had a better interface (for me) so that's the one I stuck with. The nicest aspect (for me) is that they make it a lot easier to direct different downloads to appropriate folders.

For anyone not familiar with a download manager, here's the Wiki reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Download_manager

Comment

Hi cromag, It's funny you asked if I use a download manager. Several years ago I was using a program called DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) which worked OK, but the "free" version had a constantly changing moving banner ad at the top of the program. We all know how adware "speeds up" downloads, especially with a dial up connection like mine. I think it even came bundled with Gator, which I didn't like on my computer at all. Eventually I got rid of it. About a year ago, I tried another program called IDA (Internet Download Accelerator), but it was just a 30 day trial version that I used as much as I could until it stopped working. I liked how it worked though, & no adware. All of the downloads I've done in the past year have been from download.com, which always allow you to place the download in whatever folder you wish, so I didn't see much of a need for a download manager until now. After seeing your post I decided to go to download.com & see just what was available now. I found the programs you mentioned, but also found a newer program called FDM (Free Download Manager) that has gotten rave reviews, both from CNet & 300+ users. One user even mentioned he even liked it better than Flashget.

Thanks for the nudge though cromag, I have been waiting a good free download accelerator/manager program for some time now. (Software changes so fast!) I'll let you know what I think of it.
            Last edited by DJBohn; 02-06-2007, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBohn
              One user even mentioned he even liked it better than Flashget.
              I'm guessing he is using IE for his browser. I use Firefox and Flashget integrates beautifully with it (using a patch called Flashgot, which also permits me to manage other download managers).

That being said, they were both very functional. I'd bet they've all gotten even better in the years that have passed since DAP.

The Wiki article notes the adware issue with early download managers. I'd just as soon pay to get rid of the ads -- which was probably the marketing strategy!

Comment

Working...
              X