Visual Forensics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Forensics

This doesn't fit well in the 'general audio' section, but it might fit best here. Otherwise, if it doesn't fit here either, feel free to delete it Craig. Here's the question:

My Dad has about 30,000 photographs going back to the 1830s (Daguerrotypes, tintypes, all sorts). These are family history photos. Sometimes it is difficult to identify the people in them if no one wrote it down when the photograph was taken. He's scanned about 6,000 of them so far.

On TV shows, I've seen them take visual features from photographs and match them to determine whether or not the bones of someone are a missing person, etc. I don't know how much of this is real, but does anyone have any experience with that kind of software? Feel free to private message me about it. It seems like that could come in handy for my dad to use. For example, if he has a picture of someone who is identified and thinks another photo is the same person, but they're not identified.

He's almost 81 now, but is still very sharp and has been using computers since the 1960s, so he's pretty adept at it.

I thought maybe some of those using the Forensics audio software might have experience.

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM.
    Dan McDonald

Hey! This is interesting, please don't keep it to yourself.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster. I haven't found anything at all that was in the right price range yet. I found a stripped down version of some software that might be able to do this, but it was about $1400, and no trial period or anything, so I'm not really disposed toward spending that kind of money without knowing what I'm getting. Still looking, though.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan, I think you might have a little trouble finding something reasonable.

Comment

Working...
        X